Get your licence from your LOCAL (small) post office

Tog

Slyder:

They didn't know who was eligible for what class of licence, they didn't know how to fill it in and made it quite plain they didn't think it worth the hassle. A couple of seasons of that and i was glad to buy online when the chance came round!!

For all those post office staff behind the counter :(:(:( Slyder all you have to do was take your old fishing licence in when renewing the new one, it makes it easier for them to copy some of the details from the old one on to the new one. :rolleyes::rolleyes: It so simple :)

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rickster its nothing to do with how much they make from each licence, its the fact you are USING the local post office, the more people use them, no matter what for, or how much they spend, the less likely they are to be closed down

jeepster:

rickster its nothing to do with how much they make from each licence, its the fact you are USING the local post office, the more people use them, no matter what for, or how much they spend, the less likely they are to be closed down

I agree with you Jeepster.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Seems the PO do rate the business by the amount of transactions they carry out with little regard to how much money is made from each one! Hence my sugestion to go to a smaller (more likely to be closed down) one for your licence.

My local shop/PO was happy to oblige and although the assistant had not issued a licence before I gave her the old one (as sugested above) and it took but a few mins (and in said company t'was no problemo!)

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

toggle:

Big post office staff never seem happy to sell you anything!    :mad:   - but local small ones seem very glad for the income however small.  

Too right, I always got my licences from our small local sub-post office, but that didn't stop its closure in January this year. (I and many other local people made a hell of a fuss about it, I even got my MP involved, and give him his due, he tried very hard to get the decision reversed, but the sub-PO got closed anyway)

My main post office is inadequately staffed in both senses (a)Staff overworked and long queues, and (B) staff not too clued up on issuing licences - or anything else for that matter.

So I now drive 5 miles to a village post office where the sole proprieter is glad of ANY business. It all helps to slow up New Labour's apparent policy of destroying English rural life.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I get my license from the local post office, always have done, always will.

Glad to see some of you agreed with my post. :)

Just trying to help the small P.O's

Not too sure when all of them started to sell licences again as when the EA took over from the NRA they were only available at main PO's at first?

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

rickster:

if the shop is not profitable then it will close down. Its a business so its all about making money. they wont keep throwing money at a losing cause.

Sad as it may seem but thats the be all and end of all in business.

we're not talking about shops, we're talking about post offices, a valuable service in rural areas, not profit making enterprises. sure they try to make money from other sides of the business (most of them are small shops too now) but the post office side of the enterprise is judged on number of transactions / customers not turnover

I'm all in favour of supporting the local Post Office, and I'll gladly queue in order to do it, besides which, while my local chappie was filling in the form we got chatting and I discovered he was a keen fisherman, so I got some useful gen too on local hotspots.

After 20 minutes there was still not one other customer waiting behind me.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates