Tackle choice

Anderoo

Just to address the original question, I generally select the strength of my gear to optimise my success. For instance, in late summer/early autumn my local tench waters can be weedy and clear and the fish have been pressured. There have been days when I could not get a bite on my tench rod, and have instead set up a match rod with light line and small hooks to fish for roach and perch - and then have been repeatedly smashed by tench. So there is a compromise to be reached between presentation and actually being able to land the fish.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to address the original question, I generally select the strength of my gear to optimise my success. For instance, in late summer/early autumn my local tench waters can be weedy and clear and the fish have been pressured. There have been days when I could not get a bite on my tench rod, and have instead set up a match rod with light line and small hooks to fish for roach and perch - and then have been repeatedly smashed by tench. So there is a compromise to be reached between presentation and actually being able to land the fish.

Just curious Steve, how light where you fishing to get broken off ?

Just curious Steve, how light where you fishing to get broken off ?

Pound bottom and #20s, normal match tackle. Tench would be 5-6lb each, and hooked close to weed. I've had double figure carp out on tackle like that, but from waters without snags, on this lake you stop 'em quickly or you're weeded.

I'm glad you mentioned this Anderoo. I had an argument (who me?) with some berk on Maggotdrowners about pike tackle. He said 12lb line and fuse-wire traces were plenty for pike.

I said 18lb line and 30lb traces. Naturally, on the face of it, I was wrong... <_<

I had to explain to this match angler and expert in all matters fishy, that pike tackle was less about the fighting ability of the fish but more about the terrain in which pike were caught.

I explained that I could probably bank a 30lb pike on 5lb line if the water was clear enough and while that might be 'sporting' it would also probably result in the death of a large fish, which does far better when bullied to the bank and returned quickly, since prolonged fights result in oxygen depletion and lactic-acid build up but hey....

....he's a match angler. Neither myself or Eric Edwards (some random piker bloke I think) knew anything.

This kinda goes along with your ideas about tackle fitting the environment, rather than the species.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

That's a new one on me, how on earth can that be correct that the longer the fish takes to land would result in a less exhausted fish or Barbel in this instance. I suggest the anglers that were reviving the barbel do what barbel fishers do anyway.

I am not doubting that your float caught barbel were not in good nick at all, but in reality a float caught barbel will fight longer as opposed to a normal barbel set up

You really don't know your arse from your elbow...team man...rabbit...Neil.

Why don't you come to one of the fish in's and prove your capabilities, or come and join me for a day up north :D

I'd suggest that the barbel fights much harder against the heavier tackle, thus tiring itself much more quickly. The barbel caught on float tackle is there for the long haul and being a fish that demonstrates it's ability to prolong a fight to the net, it could be the case the fish doesn't apply itself too hard at any point during the fight.

I'm merely guessing but that's the gist of what Tigger is suggesting I think.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

I'd suggest that the barbel fights much harder against the heavier tackle, thus tiring itself much more quickly. The barbel caught on float tackle is there for the long haul and being a fish that demonstrates it's ability to prolong a fight to the net, it could be the case the fish doesn't apply itself too hard at any point during the fight.

I'm merely guessing but that's the gist of what Tigger is suggesting I think.

I don't know the reason why the barbel i've caught on my trotting gear are ready for off as soon as the hook is removed. What I do know is that i've caught more than enough to be sure they go back fighting rather than having to be nursed back to life as they often do when caught on heavy ledger gear. One thing people arn't thinking of is a fish caught on the ledger gear has a weight hanging from it's mouth which is obviously going to help tire it out.

I've also caught lots of barbel on the heavier tackle (the easy way) and the fish are definatly more stressed, especially during the height of the summer months and with low levels of water.

Edited by Tigger

Aye true. I suppose a massive feeder does add to the exhaustion.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

I don't know the reason why the barbel i've caught on my trotting gear are ready for off as soon as the hook is removed. What I do know is that i've caught more than enough to be sure they go back fighting rather than having to be nursed back to life as they often do when caught on heavy ledger gear. One thing people arn't thinking of is a fish caught on the ledger gear has a weight hanging from it's mouth which is obviously going to help tire it out.

I've also caught lots of barbel on the heavier tackle (the easy way) and the fish are definatly more stressed, especially during the height of the summer months and with low levels of water.

Very true, and the other thing they aren't thinking of (or perhaps are reluctant to say) is the simple fact that some people play fish better than others!

Dick Walker used to say that netting a fish played by Pete Thomas involved getting a shower bath, as the fish came over the net still lively. Naming no names, I have over the years, netted fish for quite a number of anglers, and believe you me, have witnessed a wide range of fish-playing abilities (and hence a wide range of the degree of exhaustion shown by the fish brought to net). That ability is not just tackle dependent - I've seen it applied over many different angling styles

Speed of getting fish to net (and hence getting a fresh bait back out there) is just one of the skills in matchfishing that sorts the men from the boys.

But back to what Tigger said - on float tackle you can vary the direction of pull, and get the fish swimming in circles. Many times when float fishing for roach, I have found myself connected to carp or tench - if I can get the rod tip over the fish and get it circling, then often it can be steered over the net that much earlier. If the fish is carrying a leger or swimfeeder, not only does it increase fatigue, but the fish is that much more difficult to control or "steer".

Another point may be that the presence of a dangling feeder or leger tends to panic the fish, whereas with very light float tackle you can often steer a fish that doesn't seem to realise it is hooked.

Fishing small rivers, one thing you learn quickly is to bundle the fish out of any snags and into clear water as soon as possible. Oviously, that needs end tackle strong enough for the job. If the fish is of decent size, you also learn to move pretty smartly yourself so as to be in a position to play it effectively. That is more difficult when fishing at longer range on larger rivers of course.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond, All,

Very true - on all accounts. Problem is it's very hard to 'show' or 'teach' any kind of technique at all in two dimensions. It's just something you learn for yourself. Many fine anglers never quite "get it". Certainly many professional bass fishermen crank and jerk. The instant the fish surfaces the first time they have an amazing skill for "throwing" the fish into the boat. Some who are quite successful have no idea how to "play" a fish. Something I certainly can't do, throw fish into a boat from 15 yards.

For example, I learned, the hard way I guess, there have been many occasions that releasing pressure on a fish digging for the brush that will make the fish instinctively turn about. Carp at least, will always (maybe I should say usually) swim against the pressure early in the fight. If you have no other chance it's worth a try.

A huge advantage for me is freelining with very soft (slow) rods and very stretchy mono. Others, who've learned differently would say I have a huge disadvantage.

Never-the-less, in a large part you have to learn for yourself I think.

Phone

Edited by Phone