Would you transport livebaits?

markward

i never mentioned any type of angler only the relevance to the transportation of fish question :)

a live bait that escapes is then just a fish :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"When ever live baiting is mentioned there are always 3 groups appear:

1, the people that actually do it.

2, The people that dont, but will fight for other people to have the right to do it

and 3, the rest, they are dead against it in any form."

On the nail Scott.I would be tempted to add "And have most likely never done it" to group 3 though.

[ 10. November 2003, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Lee, DG's choice of words not mine,after all I dont know any of these "Top Pikers" apparently! :rolleyes:

Top Piker,Middle class Piker and lower class Piker all sounds a bit like a Monty Python sketch to me mate! :D

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Top Pikers, Lee and Budgie, are pikers who have labelled themselves accordingly!! Alternatively they are people who are on the world famous list of Notable Big Pike Anglers periodically published, after being personally vetted by the Piking Police, in Pike and Predators Magazine.

Others, according to my definition, would include such as Gord Burton, Derrick Amies, Watto, Mick Brown, Jason Davies, Eddy Turner, Paul Gustafson, Dave Lumb, Fred Buller, Barrie Rickards, Bill Giles, Vic Bellars, Bill Chillingworth but definately not the great, in his own purpose built tackle box, oh whats his name? You know, but I'll let you guess!!

Dear Budgie,

Sorry for the digression but the label "Top" in an angling sense has always appeared a tad bizzare to me. Having never met you Budgie, but aware that you have "done the rounds" in pike fishing circles, I'm sure that you like myself know some labelled "Top" pike anglers, and unlabelled pike anglers alike who all possess remarkable pike catching skills. But back to the topic of this thread;

I used to pike fish quite a lot and in truth, could best be described as an average skilled pike angler. Did I live bait? You bet your boots. Do I live bait now? No. Why? Simple. I don't pike fish any more, well, not for the last few years but thats not to say I won't in the future. So will I live bait if I do start pike fishing again in the future? Yes.

As for the translocation or illegal movement of live baits in the context of would I do it? Not worth the risk. Risk of the punishment inflicted I mean.

Having done quite a lot of netting, fish stocking myself over the years, a point worth mentioning. A section 30 is NO guarantee that fish "legally" moved from one location to another are disease free. A piece of paper is only that after all. And many would be very surprised to learn of the hundreds of thousands of fish I have seen netted, subsiquently moved "legally" under section 30 criteria to other venues without any health checks being made on these moved fish whatsoever!! Kind of makes a mockery of the section 30 rules don't you all think?

Regards,

Lee.

I have live baited for both pike and perch for more than 30 years. There has never, ever been proven than translocation spreads disease with the exception of carp. So now I will not use species of carp as bait. Except from the water where they were caught. River fish (except carp) plus still water roach, rudd, perch and bream all make excellent live baits and DO NOT spread diseases. Waters I have live baited on for more than 20 years have seen many live baits used without the introduction of any diseases. With the exception of one of my perch waters were a few years back some carp were used, supplied by one of the UK's largest fish suppliers. The result being that soon afterwards the resident carp died. OK so it was a small and well overstocked 'commercial' fishery, but lessons were learn't. Don't translocate carp species.

As far as dead coarse fish species are concerned, a dead fish can't spread any diseases, PROVEN.

The Environment Agency, with all the best will in the world, prove that non carp species spread disease. Not now or ever in the past, FACT.

If you can put a hook in a fishes mouth then why not in its side or back. Fish simply do not feel pain. If they did why then when hooked do they put up resistance and try to swim away. If you had a hook in your mouth would you resist, no you would head to the path of less resistance. Live baiting as an issue is only emotive, if you can't support it as a legal way to catch fish, then stop fishing. As anglers we are hunters and should therefore support all our fellows who hunt, shoudn't we.

Alan.

Dear oh dear...

Paul

quote:

Ah I thought so Chesters.So what we are talking about here is illegal stocking not escaped/released live baits then?

i fail to see the difference :confused: :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Some little while ago, I was listening to a Radio4 science programme when an item came up about a group of evolutionary theorists bemoaning the fact that there were precious few isolated islands around such as the Galapagos that had proven so enlightening to Charles Darwin.

Hmmm! They thought, aren't lakes and ponds 'negative' islands?

Rather than studying divergent populations of finches, wouldn't it be equally valid to study divergent populations of fish species?

They chose waters that didn't share flood plains, etc, which were completly isolated from one another, but the geneological divergence that they expected just wasn't there.

Rather they found that these 'isolated' populations had by some mechanism swapped genes both regularly and recently (and translocation by humans had been ruled out!)

And given the region, nutrients, local climate etc, each lake contained the mix of species that was typically expected, even where waters might regularly be 'cleansed' by drought or winter freezing.

The conclusion was that if there is a body of water capable of supporting a mix of species, without any human intervention, it will contain those species, and will not be isolated from other populations the way that Darwin's finches were. (In fact it's human intervention that temprarily adjusts the balance in managed waters, against nature's intentions.)

Nature has it's own way of ensuring that isolated bodies of water are stocked with fish that are in no danger of becoming inbred, and will adjust the population mix to transient environmental conditions.

And nature doesn't apply for section 30 consents!!

Pikers have translocated livebaits for hundreds, maybe thousands, of years, unrestriceted until recent decades, without causing any environmental disaster.

It's not something that has just started happening, it's just that it's been made an issue of only fairly recently, with no real evidence that any significant damage has ever been caused, throughout history, by the practice.

Yet everyone is getting ever so heated, as though the world only began when they were born, and the issue never existed until they first heard it discussed in the last decade or less!

Still, rules are rules.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust