Would you transport livebaits?

markward

Ah nice to read some informed coments at last.It seems that (according to Peters list) that not only do I indeed know some "top pikers" but also fish with them on a regular basis DG! Well I never!Still no reply from Chesters unfortunately.Never mind,I was not having a go but merely trying to make the point about the differences in illegal stocking and live baiting.

I may live bait but I would never agree with illegal stocking.Despite having been a keen catfish angler for many years now I didnt even agree with the widespread illegal stocking of these fish.

Ilegal stocking of carp without any sect30's etc-I wouldnt mind betting that more carp have been moved in a bid by anglers and fisheries managers in an intentional effort to change a waters contents than any that have got off a set of trebles and lived.

In fact have any of you who would report an angler for being in possesion of live baits ever reported a fishery manager for stocking a 100lb cat or 40lb french carp illegally?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chesters1:

I fail to see the difference  

You cant see the difference between the 3 or 4 unused 3-6 inch Roach being tipped into a water and the deliberate placement of many 2-3lb carp in the water?

I doubt very much that many Pike anglers do dump their unused baits, they will normally be taken home, dead or alive why throw good bait away.

Pike fishing seems to be a thing amongst anglers that you either do it and enjoy it or you hate everything to do with Pike and Pike anglers, guess we have a few of them here.

Scott.

Sorry Chesters you replied whilst I was posting.The difference is that it is ilegal stocking that is the spreader of disease and changer of bio mass not the livebait that gets of the trebles and survives.Your post although valid in its own context just serves to muddy the waters on the real subject being discussed here.

quote:

Pike fishing seems to be a thing amongst anglers that you either do it and enjoy it or you hate everything to do with Pike and Pike anglers, guess we have a few of them here.

i have livebaited all my life and only lately stopped ,there is no difference in transporting "livebait" or illegal stocking both mean the illegal movement of fish :confused: most waters contain small fish to catch as livebait as well as pike after all its what the pike live on throughout the year :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters, what are your views on what I posted earlier-

"As I asked on the closed thread is it acceptable to catch some roach down the local cut on Friday afternoon keep them in a bucket then use them on the cut on Sunday? "

quote:

"As I asked on the closed thread is it acceptable to catch some roach down the local cut on Friday afternoon keep them in a bucket then use them on the cut on Sunday? "

i cannot comment would they survive in a bucket even with a air pump , its too easy to say you/they caught them from the same water but harder to prove ,have a word with the bailiff he may let you keep a fish cage in a hidden place on the lake there would be no doupt then ,i am sure if an E.A. representative caught you with fish in a bucket his suspicion`s would be aroused and you would have a hard time proving the fish came from the same water :(

i am not against anyone transporting fish for livebait ,i as most pike anglers have done it in the past nowadays there are laws against it ,whilst there are laws forbidding it it would be advisable to follow them why make life hard for yourselves and maybe give peta a front page exclusive of "fish for the slaughter "or "pet fish used in barbaric fishing practices" type headlines etc . a lot of the best pike waters i fish in are open to the public ,why annoy them and turn them onto the "dark" side when a dead bait is just a dead fish to them .

[ 10. November 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I watched two pikers livebaiting today, both had livebaits in buckets which they said they had caught from the lake they were fishing. Funny thing was though that neither of them had the tackle to have caught these livebaits, unless they caught them on 15lb line and treble hooks!

Did I "shop" them? no, but I am now wondering if I should have.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Your answer Chesters was as I have come to expect from you ,spot on! It wasnt the answer I was "fishing " for though!! I was hoping that like a lot of people you would have said yes that it was acceptable.My follow up was if that was the case why couldnt I then go down to the cut in September catch some roach,keep them in a tank at home and use them over the comming winter on the cut! Drat foiled!

Why are so many of you non live baiters so convinced that the EA etc are so concerned about what goes on? Both my local water bailiffs and some EA workers I know actually supply me with baits!I have not had my licence checked in this country since 1988 by a half wit bailiff who checked my rod licence on four consecutive days in the same swim! Sorry that is not quite true three years ago I was challenged by an EA bailiff for fishing out of season on the Rother and was asked to produce my licence.I was not prosecuted for fishing out of season or for refusing to produce my licence.Why because I was Mullet fishing in the tidal part of the river! Fortunately before the poor sap could embarass himself any more this fact was pointed out to him by a fellow EA employee.

BUDGIE:

Chesters, what are your views on what I posted earlier-

ANSWER FROM CLOSED THREAD.

You ask is it acceptable, to whom, the baliff, the E.A., other anglers, fishery owners or just me?

Even if the removal of fish is permitted from that part of the cut I simply cannot see the logic of taking them home in a bucket, and if they should survive the trauma of some 30 hours in that bucket, returning to the same place where they were in the first place. I think this example is a cop out.

It's certainly not sensible, even if they were going to end up as bait, [ you don't say how many Roach ] how many times have you had to bait up in quick succession, plenty of time to catch bait, just have to use one rod for a while, as I do if I want live bait. Oh and by the way I don't stick trebles in the flanks.

If you think there is nothing wrong with taking fish away and then returning with them why the need for discretion, just walk up as bold as brass with you're bucket of fish regardless of anyone who may see you.

So as you can tell my answer is, no it is not acceptable. Regardless of whether or not the law is being bent by doing so.