Winter Tyres

nursejudy

I think winter tyres are overated.

I have been driving since 1993 and never specifically purchased "Winter tyres".

I do however ensure I buy good quality tyres, Continental or Michellin or the like.

It is your own driving skills that determine safety in winter months.

A good driver can drive on any road.

Driving in snow and Ice? The common sense approach is a low gear, low revs and patience.

Tyre companies would love you to believe that Winter tyres will make you safer.

They want you to buy their, better grip tyres, but think on this:

On Black Ice no tyre grips.

Drive safely guys.

I've been driving since 1977 and always fit good quality tyres, and fit winter tyres in winter. (Anyone can make the "claim from authority" :))

I don't know who taught you how to drive in winter, but in Scotland and in France when one is learning to drive one is taught to use the highest gear ratio possible, eschewing first gear even for pulling away from stationary. The AA recommends this approach, as does this site. Winter tyres do grip better, even on ice, because thay have a lot more silica (sand) in the compound than summer or all season tyres.

Most winters I do a fair bit of driving in France, in conditions that would be "impassible" here. It never ceases to amaze me how the south coast of England grinds to a halt because of a centimetre or two of snow. In France winter tyres are not optional, most car owners have a full set of spare wheels and tyresfor winter in the garage, and in some regions carrying snow chains is mandatory too and so is fitting of said chains where conditions dictate. I guess the French government is in cahoots with the tyre and tyre chain manufacturers ;)

I agree that driving skills count for a lot, but so does the amount of traction you can put down through those 4 tiny contact points your car tyres have with the road.

I'd love to see you drive down that hill in a low gear.

Youtube Video ->

Winter time is the only time of year when Glasgow cops won't pull you for executing a handbrake turn ;)

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh i normally get called to rescue the daughter or wife from somewhere or other when the white stuff hits, so i have half a dozen bags of sand or whatever in the back of the van, the only thing that stops me is abandond vehicals blocking the roads. On our blue bell hill this winter gone, our council took it apon themselves to issue parking tickets on the abandond vehicals.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

When I talk of gears low gears to me are 1-3 and then only at speeds of 3-8mph.

I rely on the gearbox to help me when going down a hill in snow and ice.

I have driven up and down hills in severe weather conditions without issue.

This is just one of them....St Bartholomews road, St Anns, Nottingham.

Have a look on Google Map and see the angle of descent.

I drove that daily in: A Ford Cortina. A Ford Capri. A Ford Fiesta. An Austin Metro. A Ford Sierra...never once did I lose control.

Now, I am not knocking anyone using Winter tyres.

You use what you feel safe with. Perhaps I am a super confident driver?

It is the Driver that fully determines the efficiency of tyres and performance, not the tyre.
Why is it an offence to drive in bald tyres then? Is this just a ruse to get more money from us poor car drivers?

Youtube Video ->

Is 25 mph a more acceptable demonstration?

Youtube Video ->

or 30 mph?

Youtube Video ->

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Why is it an offence to drive in bald tyres then? Is this just a ruse to get more money from us poor car drivers?

Youtube Video ->

Is 25 mph a more acceptable demonstration?

Youtube Video ->

or 30 mph?

Youtube Video ->

ThanksCory.

The argument of winter tyres is sound...the further displays you list will make me pull back and look again.

It is the Driver that fully determines the efficiency of tyres and performance, not the tyre.

Not true there is a big difference in front wheel, rear wheel drive and four wheel drive.

In really hazardess road conditions I barely exceed 5mph until it is safe to do so.

In really hazardess conditions I am alert for anything and so react faster to any change.

In really hazardess conditions I will take no corner or curve at 10mph and turn into any potential spin/skid thus righting my driving line.

The film was on ice so the speed was applicable to the conditions.

Have you had any skid pan driving instruction? Speeds above 10mph are virtually impossible.

When I talk of gears low gears to me are 1-3 and then only at speeds of 3-8mph.

I rely on the gearbox to help me when going down a hill in snow and ice.

I have driven up and down hills in severe weather conditions without issue.

This is just one of them....St Bartholomews road, St Anns, Nottingham.

Have a look on Google Map and see the angle of descent.

I drove that daily in: A Ford Cortina. A Ford Capri. A Ford Fiesta. An Austin Metro. A Ford Sierra...never once did I lose control.

Now, I am not knocking anyone using Winter tyres.

You use what you feel safe with. Perhaps I am a super confident driver?

You shouldn't use first gear on snow and ice. Period.

I know Nottingham, I used to work there, for Powergen and I know Glasgow. Nottingham has NOTHING on Glasgow for extremely steep streets. In Glasgow when you park, you leave your car facing up hill, in reverse gear as well as putting the handbrake on.

Cortinas and Capris, hmmm. In Scotland or France you would be lucky to get a rear wheel drive car out of your drive after a good dump of snow.. Have you ever driven in 6 inches of fresh powder? Have you ever seen a road where you can't see where the road ends and the verge begins because you got there before the plough did?

Who controls the vehicle? Mickey Mouse perhaps?

I have driven all types of front, rear and 4 wheeled drive vehicles.

Your Part 2 validates my point entirely...the film showing 10mph cornering is not the norm.

Yes I have been on a skid pan....great fun tbh....showed me how to drive in bad conditions.

@ Cory...On hill stops you forgot tomention that you turn your wheels so in a roll you go into the kerb.

Never use first gear was referring to interpretation.

Drove most UK roads and lower Scotland.

Drove to Kilwinning and back in one trip last year in the heavy snows.

A1-A66 scotch corner-M6-A74-A75-A76-A71.

Only issue was a Jacking Artic just past Penrith on the return.

All on Michellin.

A66 was at some points best guess driving, certainly keeps you on your toes.

Cory I have driven over 138,000 miles since 2009 and so I am a pretty confident driver.

Driven all cars and yes rear wheel is definately the greater challenge.

Had a narrow escape once at Gunthorpe bridge when nearly lost my back end by the big 20 foot drops on the way to the A46.

Bad weather ....bring it on...lol

Edited by Now there's a right un.