Fair Cop, Or Rough Justice?

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair cop!

Paul

Chubsta, You've taken the words right out of my mouth. What's got lost in the mists of time, is, that it was, we, the anglers, who asked to pay a levy just after the turn of the last century because the rivers were little more than sewers.

Now, well, I think that bloke might have been coming it, yes, but like you say, it's hardly a hanging offence is it. If the world had only anglers bending the rules slightly to worry about, there wouldn't be a lot wrong with it, would there?

I once got pinched for fishing in private water many years ago and got an absolute discharge. I think the magistrate/beak/judge took the same view as I do. It's hardly in the same league as mugging old ladies.

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow - creature, let me do it now, let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

A bit in the middle here. I agree that it was a fair cop.The guy could have quite easily got a second licence and remained in the law like the rest of us have to.But the punnishment isnt proportionate when you look at what other far more serious crimes carry.

The real truth of course is that its not the fishing fines that need to be lighter but the mugging of old ladies,burglary etc etc which need to be much more punished!

I did feel sorry for the guy who got caught on the Fens years ago with a third rod (he had two licences by the way and it was a regional bye law he was breaking) but rules are rules its just the disproportionate fines I supose.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Right judgement, wrong fine in comparison with street crime.

I'm still of the opinion that the EA do not take licence evasion seriously. I posted a story about recent events on the Thames where the two EA inspectors came over for a chat whilst I was using three rods. Every opportunity to ask to please see my licences...never bothered. Then went off down river in no particular hurry, past bank and boat fishermen without stopping. You got the impression that they didnt want to spoil an otherwise lazy day on the river.

On wednesday last out with vidar6 and coming through Penton Hook lock. Vidar was tossing a lure around waiting for the lock gate to open. We were slowly drifting. The lock keeper's assistant with a smug look, remarked that it was illegal to fish from a moving (drifting) boat. Again no licence check.

[ 30. June 2005, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Would he have been fined as much had he had the decency to turn up to his hearing? He got everything he deserved!

Paul

quote:

got an absolute discharge.
That sounds painful! :D

--------------------------

No, it's not a hanging offence. Which is why he wasn't hung!

Harsh............ but fair imo. It clearly states that the licence is only for 2 rods

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Personally I don't see why anglers should have to buy more than one rod licence and Water Authority bye-laws should control the maximum number of rods that can be used per person.

You only need one Shotgun Certificate for any number of guns.