just brought my last fishing rod

chavender

I've just brought my last fishing rod ,barring breakages or loss ,i've just brought the final piece in my arsonal of rods ,ok not new or cheap ,tonight i got my second 15ft float rod ,a harrisons gti 15ft float rod ,complete with spare spliced tip

KGrHqVmEE69kMSNzJBOyT9chY9g60_12.jpg

ok its not perfect ,that peice of scrap iron (fuji latch plate reel fitting) will have to be unlashed from the handle & that varnish removed ,i might completely rebuild the handle with a fixed reel seat or just put some spanking (testing the new advertising links ,thingy) new shiny reel grips

KGrHqZhYE3u3igjuBONDkp0gQ0_12.jpg

this gti will make a nice companion to my other 15ft rod (not a harrison) which i recently rebuilt the handle on .

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Welcome to the Harrison club Steve, a wise decision.

I’ve been a user for a couple of years now and bought a second rod on the strength of the first. Both mine are hollow tips, I haven’t felt the need to try the spliced tip as they seem to cope with smaller fish very well, you’ve basically got the second top section for free (the rods are still available for £170 new).

They have the ability to pick up line at distance and yet will bend right though their entire length when pressed, great all round trotting rods.

I’d go for the Roberts fittings, when mine arrived I was disappointed that they had plastic reel fittings but Tigger made the good point that they won’t scratch the reel foot. They’ve proved very reliable since with no loosening during the day which the alloy fittings can sometimes do.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Great choice Steve. I nearly bid on that one myself but decided not to as I already have a couple of rods built on the GTI blanks. I would also echo the thoughts of others re the Roberts reel clips. As well as being very good, it also helps that being adjustable you can find the best position when using different reels. I will be putting same on the Normark Titan that I have recently aqquired for the same reason. As for no more rods? you can make a superb Chubbing rod from GTI blanks.

i have a pair or two ,of roberts fittings (and yes probably what i'll choose to fit) ,and some black alloy grips i even have a pair of graphite grips .and plenty of alloy ones .and a draw full of reel fittings too choose from .but my luck none will fit & i'll have to buy some .

i must admit the harrison probably wont be the last rod i'll buy (but it will be the last i buy for myself too use) ,i'll probably buy the odd one to fix up etc or cheap one to lend to my nephews etc ,i can now retire my old diawa 15ft rod or i might keep it just for waggler (slider) fishing as its a tad heavy too hold all day when trotting .its taken a few years (about 5 years) but i've completly changed all my old rods for new updated rods .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I will be putting same on the Normark Titan that I have recently aqquired for the same reason.

That would be sacriledge Paul :headhurt: I think the fuji reel seats are the best ever made. I reckon you'll more than half the value by doing that bud.

That would be sacriledge Paul :headhurt: I think the fuji reel seats are the best ever made. I reckon you'll more than half the value by doing that bud.

With rods that spend most of their time in a rod rest I will go for fixed reel fittings every time but for ones that you are holding all the time and are using different reels I much prefer sliding reel fittings to get the best balance. As for value, that is not why I bought the rod. As a matter of interest, I was wondering whether the tip section on a 12 foot Titan 2000 could be adapted to fit the 13 foot as there are still some spare sections available. If they are then I would get one as a spare. Managed to get out for a few hours yesterday but not on the river which is way low. Managed to christen the Lythe though with a bit of Roach fishing on a local pool.

With rods that spend most of their time in a rod rest I will go for fixed reel fittings every time but for ones that you are holding all the time and are using different reels I much prefer sliding reel fittings to get the best balance. As for value, that is not why I bought the rod. As a matter of interest, I was wondering whether the tip section on a 12 foot Titan 2000 could be adapted to fit the 13 foot as there are still some spare sections available. If they are then I would get one as a spare. Managed to get out for a few hours yesterday but not on the river which is way low. Managed to christen the Lythe though with a bit of Roach fishing on a local pool.

The 12ft top section sounds interesting. How did you find the Lythe ?