The Beginners Question – Which tackle…..

craynerd

your hooklengh for that size seems very heavy especially compared to your mainline :confused:

i would go for 3-4lb main and 1lb ish hooklenght

that will take care of bedding in, unfortunate tangles (easier to unpick) and if you do get a break it will only be the hooklengh lost not the float

in fishing the drag setting on the reel can avoid unfortunate accidents looser rather than tight your finger can apply pressure on the spool rim adding more drag if ness giving time to increase the drag a tad but do not wind the drag on hard just enough if the fish bolts for the blue line will be let out

[ 22. February 2005, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

craynerd:

hi rob.i , yes as i say my uncle fishes there...i didnt know exactly what it was called! now i do, sorry for the confusion! I think i may visit there on Saturday!

Anyone any ideas of the best places to fish, near Fallowfield??

Dont know south manc too well . If you do fish bradshaws dont use anything smaller than 3lb ld line for your hooklength especially if you fish no4 lodge if you dont believe me look at the trees in the centre of the lodge

when you think you know everything think again....

Best of luck, Chris!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

What a bloody disaster!!!!

Set of at 6am and got to Sale lodge for 6:30.

What went right!!!! Nothing!

Firstly Sale lodge has building work on one side, meaning No Fishing except on one boaring side with absolutley no features.

I selected my place, sat down and began to plumb the deapth, even this didn`t work properly as the large weight kept snagging at the bottom.

Anyone i think i did this ok, so i continued. At this point it began to snow! And i mean snow!

My hands were so cold i could hardly work with the line.

BUT...my major problem was my casting!!! I was ok with the large weight on before, but now i only had lighter weights on with the float i was struggling getting any distance to where i wanted to fish (when i say distance, i dont mean a long way!!!) I just couldnt get the thing out, i snagged on a tree and the maggot came off. By this time my hands were so cold i couldnt replace the maggot...litterally!!!

I`d been there an hour and half, and was struggling with the weather. Beat, i came home!

How upsetting...and annoying!

BUT I AM NOT DISCOURAGED.....although i wouldnt mind going out with an experienced angler next time around!! Trouble is i dont know anyone! hint hint ???

Regards

Chris

Here fishy fishy.......

140 hours of blanking at Carcus!! 2 carp runs and countless bream .

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

:D:D:D Sorry about the smileys Craynerd....so you had a good day out then? :D

Casting light float tackle in the wet and snow is not easy for anyone, and you couldn't have picked worse conditions!!!!

It has to be all uphill (or is it downhill?) from now on, but you are over the worst (so it must be downhill),

I will fish under most conditions but even I am not mad enough to go out in todays weather (probably wouldn't get to the lake anyway :rolleyes:

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

It may be that the float you were using was too light. It's not a bad idea to use the lightest float that will cast the distance you need. If you use a float adaptor you can easily change your float without having to cut the line, which is especially useful if conditions change.

If in doubt, use a float that's a little too heavy as if you're struggling to get the distance there's a tendency to make too much disturbance and thus spook the fish - even more so than by using a heavier float.

You're also more likely to get tangles if you'd casting to your limit. "Feathering" the line down by lightly touching it by the reel spool just before your float lands will help here.

However, bear in mind that, in open water at least, you should be overcasting and then putting your rod tip underwater and giving your reel a sharp turn or two. This ensures that the line is sunk and much improves presentation. This is because the surface water often moves in the opposite direction to the water deeper down and can take the float with it. This is very unnatural and can put the fish off, especially the bigger and wiser ones.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Craynerd

I would willingly go out with you(fishing that is, before anybody gets some bright idea:D )but I am in the Midlands. You might consider one of the fish ins next time there is one. Plenty of very tallented fisherman on these and always willing to help. I have been fishing now for 25 years and still learning

atb

Paul

Hi guys, pitty ur in the midlands seph, i dont know how long it would take me to get to you from Manchester!

We`ll i am listening to your comments and i still think i know too little to even attempt it again.

Anyone going out at weekend? Even if i only watch! I`m really dissapointed, i had dreams of me pulling some big fish out today!

[ 23. February 2005, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: craynerd ]

Here fishy fishy.......

Anyone wanna chat about fishing and help a keen begginer - msn messanger - craynerd@hotmail.com

PS. I can see my float being too light as it was a drennon dimond float requiring 4 AA weights. I was told by andy at the tackle shop that that is the heaviest out of my selection.

Here fishy fishy.......

Hi Chris, 4AA is a decent enough weight to cast, you may be suffering slightly with casting technique, you should be able to punch 4AA out a fair way if the wind is not against you, I suggest to begin with, that maybe increase the float size untill your casting has improved then fine down when more experienced.

good luck mate and stick at it..