Predators In Canals

terry t shirt

Yes, it's not that unusual. There is plenty of unfished/rarely fished water around.

And as Anderoo hinted earlier that is where something realy special can come from ,the Pike esp thrieve on neglect

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that it is not unfished. Its fished frequently along its length by matchmen and carp anglers. Some of the sections are very prolific with bream and carp. We're not talking a northern canal where they expect to win a match with 3lb of fish most matches on a bad day require double figures.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

The problem is that it is not unfished. Its fished frequently along its length by matchmen and carp anglers. Some of the sections are very prolific with bream and carp. We're not talking a northern canal where they expect to win a match with 3lb of fish most matches on a bad day require double figures.

Is it fished for pike though?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Terry T shirt can you walk a section after a match but before they all dissapear and just ask the match guys if any have been bothered by Pike ,Divide by 3 the size of the fish they say attacked there Roach :rolleyes: and you have a starting point .

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

My start to fishing this canal was in matches i know most of the guys that use to match fish it and a few that still do. To my knowledge none of us have encountered a pike. Its just common sense that tells me they must be there.

Anderoo i've never seen anyone fish it for pike except one guy from eastern europe and he hadnt caught anything.

Edited by terry t shirt

My start to fishing this canal was in matches i know most of the guys that use to match fish it and a few that still do. To my knowledge none of us have encountered a pike. Its just common sense that tells me they must be there.

Anderoo i've never seen anyone fish it for pike except one guy from eastern europe and he hadnt caught anything.

sounds like its worth a proper go then! Maybe it'll be crap but maybe there will be a handful of unpressured biggies...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Round one to the mythical pike.

I went out this evening for acpl of hours working down the canal with a few plugs. I started by casting out fan style then moving 30 yds and doing the same again. Did this for most of the time without even a hint. ( using largish plugs) on the way back i trolled a mepps at walking pace at the bottom of the inside ledge. Did manage 2 perch one around 8oz the other just over the 1pound. Got back to the car just after dusk and pondering what to try next.

The fact that the regular match anglers have never seen any pike activity,(be it striking or taking fish they have hooked) would definitely concern me. As others and indeed yourself know the key is to find where the bait fish all hold up at this time of year as the predators wont be far away.

But the sad fact is that some waters just don't have pike in (or enough to make them a viable target any way) I have tried several waters (that have very close neighbouring waters with pike in) that time and effort has simply shown to be void of them.Considering that Pike are usually the first species to populate a water its very strange but unfortunately true!

In 30 years you would surely have seen/heard of some if there.

"Pioneering" is certainly the way to find both new fishing and very big pike but unless your hunch is right it can also waste a lot of rod hours that would be better spent else where. I won't commit to any "trial" sessions till I have some pretty strong evidence in the first place.

Just think of how many waters you (any of you) have fished for that sort of time that have pike and you've never seen/heard hide or hair of them?

Sorry to seem so negative but just been there and...................................blanked so many times before! (To avoid any confusion not the water in question of course)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!