Pike on double maggot

PhilJ

I recently fished the Avon at Tewkesbury using a swimfeeder for Chub, Roach et al with a light rod centrepin reel and 5lb line with double maggot on size 16 hook. Things were really quiet until the rod tip showed the slightest knock and on striking all hell broke loose. I was convinced I had hooked a pb barbel which led me all around the river for 1 hr keeping deep, circling, dashing accross the river, heading for reed beds.

I was astonished to discover that the barbel was in fact a 9.5 lb pike. Maggots? Pike? first for me. Any similar experiences?

Cheesepaste takes several pike for me when chub fishing most winters,I've also caught pike on bread and on sweetcorn.(The sweetcorn was being retrieved at the time)Quite a few on maggots as well.

I have done the same on the Severn at Gloucester.

What I think happens is that there are so many fish around your swim that the Pike 'has a go' ands grabs your hook. The other possibility is that a minnow or some other small fish actually has the maggot in his mouth when the pike strikes.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

It happened to me as well. I put it down to the maggot was attracting small fish, they darted in and out of the reeds for the maggots and the pike lunged, misssed, found the hook.

I fell about laughing cos a whole load of kids were whacking lures and baits all over the show.

"Muddlin' along"