Okuma Avensis Centrepin

Dick Dastardly

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

though fly reels and centrepins look similar thay are very different, and shouldnt be confused as they dont do the same job.

centrepins work with float rods, avon rods etc etc, fly reels work with fly rods.

:o:o How embarrasing. I just can't seem to find much information on how to put them together.

I recently moved to nice location that has exclusive fishing 50 yards from the back door. The river is rocky and no more than 20 feet wide and 5 feet deep at it's deepest point. Difficult to fly-fish even with a 3wt 7.5ft flyrod since it is heavily overgrown. I've trimmed part of it to fly fish but would like to try trotting it with a centrepin.

Thanks for the info.

[ 06. April 2005, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

I'd go for an inexpensive 12/13 foot float rod if you're fishing a 20 foot river. A short fly rod will just not connect with bites on a float rig particularly if you are trotting baits at some distance. Fly rods are simply not made to work that way. Centrepins and fly reels are very similar and probably interchangeable on an occasional basis but a centrepin runs too fast for stripping flyline off unless you have the clickstop engaged and that can be irritating. By the same token a fly reel runs too slow for a float rig to take line off the spool using just the power of the flowing water. Check out ebay for an inexpensive float rod and then look for a centrepin reel. The Okuma at around £90 is as good as you'll get up to about £200, but if you're just experimenting the Leeda reel has apparently dropped in price to about £30 and is particularly good value. With a bit of luck £70 should get you a rod, reel and bitz.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Thanks Argyll, I am bidding on a reel at the moment and will look into the right rod for it. Ideally I'm looking for a 3 to 3.5 inch centrepin. I've seen both Chris Yates and John Wilson using them and it looks like fun. Not to mention what I have found on AN as well. This river just isn't practical for a flyrod where I would like to fish.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

I fish some very narrow rivers where a 13 ft is just impractical, given the amount of vegetation as well as the narrow width of the river.

I get on just fine with a 9ft telescopic rod (useful to push through the undergrowth, then extend it over the water).

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

A 9' fly rod and a centre-pin is not such a bad idea, if you are roach fishing from a boat or in a stream. The Thames roach anglers of years gone by used to use outfits that weren't so far off the mark so I had a dabble, and liked it. 5 to 7 weight is good for that job. However I wouldn't recommend it for yer general float fishing.

You know I was just thinking I have a few other shorter rods that are about 6.5 foot. You know the typical American type bait casters. I'm still looking for a float rod to fit the bill.

Thanks alot Guys.

Jeff

Yellow Prowler13

Ask me at 75...

Hi Jeff, its all down to where you fish and want you want to catch. The John Wilson Avon is a pretty good rod that covers a multitude of disciplines. However, if you do want a 10 ft roach rod then have a look at the ABU Red Wolf range. Cheaper than chips and remarkably good.