Okuma Avensis Centrepin

Dick Dastardly

You have all got me thinking about getting one now. Never really been into using pins, but for £90 may well get one and give it a go properly. Have had a few little dabbles at it

Paul

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Leeds is on offer on the Lewtham website, £30 something quid, you can buy on line.

Go to http://www.centre-pin-fishing-reels.com/

There is a Quest side cast reel, makes the price of the Youngs Rolling Pin look a bit sick! Yes, I know build quality is important!

[ 02. February 2005, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

The 64 quid + around 5 postage for my Aventa seems to have been a steal.

I have received some lit from spindle on wallis casting.

Now that looks like fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think I will be getting some strange looks from the neighbours when practising in the garden.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Serious question - how does one of these Aventa's stack up against a Bob James leaving aside the price differential? Anyone tried both of these reels and can give a comparison?

Paul

I have looked at both in the same shop whilst deciding. I couldn't justify the huge price diffential. I also felt that the heavier spool of the Aventa provided a usefull fly-wheel effect. Half a weeks wages as opposed to less than a days just didn't add up! The BJ is a work of art, sheer quality. but the Aventa is a true workhorse, and exceedingly well made.

I've had a look at the Aventa in a shop too but I own a BJ Lightweight Peter. The reason I ask is that I now own five CP's and the BJ is head and shoulders above the others and is an absolute dream to use - I really do enjoy fishing with it. 3 of my reels I actually dislike using and am thinking of offloading them to replace them with another of type yet to be decided. I was just wandering if someone had actually used both in anger and could give an authorative comparison.

Paul

Before I can even consider buying a pin I need to catch some fish trotting :P I've caught 2 chub last February but I feel I may be doing something wrong as I fished a stretch of the Wey last weekend and I caught absolutely zilch even though there are tons of minnows there so surely I could have caught one of them.

James

Peter (Waller), I cannot understand what a "useful flywheel effect" is, in the context of using a c'pin, unless you are talking about retrieving line after a trot using the inertia of the drum to avoid frantic winding or batting. As Alan (Stubbs) siad earlier it is "the energy to start the c'pin rotating" which seems the more important - ie. having a light, free-running drum rather than a heavy/heavier one.

Not criticising, just wondering.

paul

Paul D I have an okuma and a Youngs BJ I use the Okuma and the BJ is open to offers.......That should provide a clue! :) When I have sold the BJ I will have another Okuma for my lad.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Is the BJ in good nick Alan? Would you accept a straight swop then?

Flywheel effect, someone else's term, not mine. The weight of the spool will keep it turning, simple as that. Very handy when giving line on a trot. Might be handy when doing one of those posh casts too, only I haven't mastered that yet, or really tried to to be honest. Me, I pull line down from the rings. Heathen aren't I, but its all I need from a boat.