Okuma Avensis Centrepin

Dick Dastardly

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To quote a one-time friend 'Shakespeare - invented the brakes on a centrepin' - I seem to recall Poledark using one for mullet fishing and him saying that he had fitted a ball-race to it.

And for all these years I thought a ball-race was the 100m for men.

I have always advocated the supremacy of function over aesthetics, so am not unduly concerned at what something looks like - with a face like mine I can't afford that luxury!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Paul_D:

quote:

Paul

have you seen the new Preston 15-17ft carbonactive sentient rod (rrp239.00)

It has been described as handling like a 13ft rod with a very forgiving action for light hooklength use.

Haven't had a look at that one Rudd, thanks for making me aware of it though. I know everyone raves about the Carbonactive range but I very much have a love/hate relationship with mine (although I only have the one rod). Positively detest it with the dolly section fitted.
I think this new version Irons out the problem.

I know people rave about the carbonactive range but I use Map Parabolix rods and yes they are the bolix!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I feel really out of this - not only do I use Shakespeare Eagle centrepins (I've got three), I use and like Shakespeare float rods (I've got five).

I know Shakespeare tackle isn't regarded as bank-cred prestiguous, but I'm delighted with my centrepins and float rods. But then,to paraphrase Alan, I advocate the supremacy of function (and value for money) over fashion.

Jim Gibbinson:

I feel really out of this - not only do I use Shakespeare Eagle centrepins (I've got three), I use and like Shakespeare float rods (I've got five).

I know Shakespeare tackle isn't regarded as bank-cred prestiguous, but I'm delighted with my centrepins and float rods. But then,to paraphrase Alan, I advocate the supremacy of function (and value for money) over fashion.

Jim, the main thing is that YOU enjoy using the tackle.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Nowt wrong with Shakespeare! I have, and love, a Shakespeare float rod, the sections of which are perfectly interchangeable with a Shimano that I won from IYCF. The only practical differance being a meaningless logo, and the price! As for their much ridiculed plastic tackle boxes, just love 'em. Fox boxes fit in 'em perfectly!

I have 2 Shakespeare match rods and reels - the first tackle I ever bought. Quite happy using the stuff - So stuff the gainsayers!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Peter Waller:

The Leeds is on offer on the Lewtham website, £30 something quid, you can buy on line.

Go to http://www.centre-pin-fishing-reels.com/

I have been conned out by that firm on the website. I paid altogether £62.62pence a couple week ago and now it is £30 :mad: :mad: :mad:

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Strange how tackle manufacturers come in and out of fashion isnt it! Remember when in the mid 70's Shakespeare were the one to have with their "International" range and flag ship "President" range taking over in the 80's.Great tackle.Daiwa who seemed to gain popularity in the late 80,s were always regarded as rubbish up to then.

Yes I agree that some companies lost the plot ABU being a prime excample once they merged with Garcia (strange though how Mitchell went down hill once Garcia left them though!)The quality of their tackle (pre 1980) when it was made in Sweden far exceeded that of the Scotish made gear,which in all fairness was much better than the subsequent far east stuff!But with Shakespeare it seems to have been diferent.I think they fell from grace purely down to other brands becoming more fashionable.The recent gear Ive seen of theirs and actually tried on the bank has been great value for money and perfectly ok.As mentioned their match rods (especially in the mid price range) are brilliant.

Only pin of theirs Ive ever used though was a plastic one what was absolute pants! What was it called? black polycarbonate came with a spare spool and had old english style writing on the box,out in the late 70's?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!