Beetle Hatch

Lid

We had a mass beetle hatch in our garden last night. They were still buzzing and flying around our trees at 22:30! Does anyone know what it's all about and what species of beetle they are please?

Here's one. They are a couple of centimetres long or so :

beatlecropped01.jpg

Edited by Lid

I am not 100% sure, but i think they are May beetles.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Thanks. However although they look similar there appear to be quite a number of differences between mine at the one in the link???

Edited by Lid

The May beetle/bug and the cock chafer are one and the same and although you see some differences don't forget your photo is of a newly hatched beetle and they will change as they develope and age.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I've seen big hatches of these a couple of times; once, in France, there were so many of them that you couldn't avoid them crunching underfoot with every step :yucky:

Cockchafer (Melolontha melolontha).

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

In the name of all thats Holy DO NOT Google Cock chaffer without the familey filter on :o

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Why ever not ?

It's better without the extra F but even with two F's there's only two racey hits on the first page of results.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

A few years ago you guys here told me it was a June bug :huh:

Had a swarm of them back then....

wot.jpg

Just found this passage in wikipedia....Hhhmmm nice puke.gif

In some areas and times, cockchafers even served as food. A 19th century recipe from France for cockchafer soup reads:

"roast 1 lb (454 g) of cockchafers without wings and legs in sizzling butter, then cook them in a chicken soup, add some veal liver and serve with chives on a toast".

And a German newspaper from Fulda from the 1920s tells of students eating sugar-coated cockchafers.

A cockchafer stew is referred to in W.G. Sebald's novel The Emigrants.

B)

Edited by n4lly
1509tarpon_75_.gif