Best fishing in UK

The Flying Tench

tomorrow I'll be up to my bits in water trotting for chub (not where you were Chris).

Be my guest, tis why I phoned you and told you where I was - soften the blow of the bad news I had to convey!! ;)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to a very knowledgable angler today who's name has been around and he was telling me that in a 12 mile diameter of a area in kent there are 9 day ticket waters and when he named them i thought 'Your right' and he went on to say that everyone has atleast a 20lb minimum weight carp in it but obviously other fish. It seems people are targeting big Bream nowadays?

I agree with Budgie the rivers are a bit vague in Kent. The trouble with the Medway is its such a very old river it has eaten into the ground so much that in the summer the banks are next to impossible to get down onto the water. Most other waters in my view are more big streams apart from maybe the rother.

The best rivers i have found are definately down in the West for my type of fishing i like. I had a 15lb barbel out of the Avon and it was one of the most beautiful fish i have ever caught. Forget the size it was its shear power it had and such immaculate scales tail and head...Fantastic fish!!!

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

10-15 miles west north west... Just so I'm a bit more central to where I like to fish. That'd do me very nicely!

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Whip Cay - a small island off Belize.

Fly fishing for permit at the bottom of your garden, and tarpon and bonefish within easy reach.

But within the UK ? A castle, with boathouse and boat, on Loch Awe would do me nicely - excellent in summer, and spend the winter in the tropics.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

In the UK I would head back to Northumberland, affordable fishing for Salmon and wild Brown trout and decent sea fishing on the doorstep.Coarse fishing would have to go the journey though.

Overseas subject to some regime change Cayo Guillermo in Cuba would be nice.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

...there is a surprising amount of cheap brown trout river fishing though!

True, there are some little gems, but compared to the water available on the Wye & Usk passport scheme, for example, a bit sparse and expensive.

if you could move anywhere in UK for the fishing - the kind you like to do - where would it be?

No need to move an inch. The local fishing is good and I'm central to the rest of the UK.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Whip Cay - a small island off Belize.

Fly fishing for permit at the bottom of your garden, and tarpon and bonefish within easy reach.

But within the UK ? A castle, with boathouse and boat, on Loch Awe would do me nicely - excellent in summer, and spend the winter in the tropics.

What would you be catching in Loch Awe? Is it a wide range of fish?

john clarke

Fascinating to hear so many happy to stay where they are. They say that 'the grass is greener', though not on A.N. it seems.

I fish more or less the same waters as Chris Plumb and Rusty. I'm certainly well satisfied, but if I could choose anywhere I suspect I'd move just for the change. Maybe the Christchurch area with Hants Avon and Dorset Stour, and other Dorset smaller rivers in easy reach and sea fishing as well; or maybe the Wye and Usk area, with the Severn in reasonable range.

Having said that the sheer variety round Newbury is hard to match. The Kennet varies immensely from stretch to stretch, and I'm not aware that it's the same with most rivers - though I may be wrong, as the Kennet is the only river I've fished over a number of years.

john clarke