Better fish on deads

lozza

In my veiw the difference is that the ytechniques required to safely deal with unhooking a pike are very different to other species ie if you can unhook a roach you can unhook a carp.

Yes I agree you cant change attitude but you can give those who want to learn but dont know,the skills required. Being shown on the bank is the best way for these skills to be learned.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. Those roach can be slippery buggers :D

Yes I agree that for people wanting to learn it would be a great thing but a lot of effort would have to go into setting it all up which would inevitably cost and if the EA is involved you can bet your back side that it will be regular mr fisherman who has to pay for it in some way or other regardless of whether they will be piking themselves. As I said on a club level it would work just fine but the way hawk proposed it as an all sweeping legislation it is a lot more difficult.

What you may as well do is introduce a pike angling license (theres a can of worms for you. New thread anyone?) which requires you to attend a course each year in order to renew it as otherwise people are going to have to take a course at each venue and that would very quickly become annoying for many.

Edited by AddictedToScopex

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I don't know. Those roach can be slippery buggers :D

Yes I agree that for people wanting to learn it would be a great thing but a lot of effort would have to go into setting it all up which would inevitably cost and if the EA is involved you can bet your back side that it will be regular mr fisherman who has to pay for it in some way or other regardless of whether they will be piking themselves. As I said on a club level it would work just fine but the way hawk proposed it as an all sweeping legislation it is a lot more difficult.

What you may as well do is introduce a pike angling license (there's a can of worms for you. New thread anyone?) which requires you to attend a course each year in order to renew it as otherwise people are going to have to take a course at each venue and that would very quickly become annoying for many.

I agree that a "National" course/licence would be great but sadly I feel to much more work/cost etc than club/fishery level ones. I still think that most dedicated pikers would welcome it and the advantages far out weigh the "inconvenience" of having to attend/prove them selves.

Maybe a quick "poll" of our pike fishing members would be interesting?

I agree that a "National" course/licence would be great but sadly I feel to much more work/cost etc than club/fishery level ones. I still think that most dedicated pikers would welcome it and the advantages far out weigh the "inconvenience" of having to attend/prove them selves.

Maybe a quick "poll" of our pike fishing members would be interesting?

I will let someone else set up the poll this time lol. I missed a few options off mine last time.

The one thing to make sure of with the teaching I suppose is that the teacher knows what he is doing too. Its all well and good to police the anglers but you must also ensure all the teachers are not teaching bad habits etc. As has been said many times on here it is often the old hands who believe that their way is the correct way and if it isnt they end up passing their bad advice on.

The one thing to make sure of with the teaching I suppose is that the teacher knows what he is doing too.

Yes indeed.My argument about the PAA and other "professional bodies" Who indeed test the testers! I would like to think that the regional set ups of the PAC could be trusted.I'm not saying all PAC members are competent though as Ive seen many examples to the contrary but it would be a good place to start.

BUDGIE,

Hopefully, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Many times before, I've seen the preceived need for pike to be handled "differently".

What is that difference?

Phone

Unlike my normal rambling replies I think I can sum this one up in one!- TEETH!

I will let someone else set up the poll this time lol. I missed a few options off mine last time.

I dont know how to do it mate to be honest! The only question would be "As an experienced pike angler would you object to having to attend a "handling/Unhooking" course prior to being able to fish a water for pike" and the options being YES or NO surely?

I dont know how to do it mate to be honest! The only question would be "As an experienced pike angler would you object to having to attend a "handling/Unhooking" course prior to being able to fish a water for pike" and the options being YES or NO surely?

lol I will do one in a minute. Fingers crossed I dont miss anything lol.

When the PAA decided to become the governing body of angling coaches and guides I must admit to having the hump! BUT it wasn't the principle I objected to but (same as the AT) the simple gut reaction of "who do these people think they are to lord it over me?"

I did not got this feeling when I attended my APGAI training/testing/assessment because they went about it in a far better way and were indeed a long standing organisation (maybe in their early days they upset people?) When STANOC tried to "muscle in" they could have put a lot of our noses out but in reality handled it well. But Ive never met an incompetent trout fishing/fly casting instructor in either. Yes some are better teachers than others but they all "sing from the same hymn book" and can do the do.

PAA were like bulls in china shops upsetting a lot of long time guides and instructors in the coarse angling world. It came across (wrongly or rightly) that like the AT their real mission was control and financial gain. They really peed everyone off by insisting that all should be made to join before they could carry on doing what they had been doing for years! Yes I see the need for a standard but sadly most PAA coaches Ive met are very poor and of limited experience.

But their real crime was the way they stoped at nothing to be the boss,final straw for me being when they tried to slate a well know guy in the angling charity world by hinting that he was a kiddy fiddler! Most untasteful especially as the guy had been doing his thing for 30+ years without even the slightest bit of "smoke" err and was the first I know of to bring in CRB checks and compulsory "Child Protection Coarse" attendance for all of his volunteers.

In my mind any "professional" body that stands to make profit shouldn't be the people running any possible "Pike licence" Despite my self imposed 10 year+ exile from the PAC since I have returned I can hand on heart say the new committee members,organisers,RO's are some of the best the club has had for an awfully long time! And would have total confidence in them being able to run/advise such a scheme.