Better fish on deads

lozza

BUDGIE,

I thought perhaps there were real biological differences for the fish.

In the US of a couple technical forum I "lurk" - there is a never ending argument about "how to hold an adult specimen fish". These are technical fish biologists and the like. They don't agree. Some say, horzontaly at right angles to the vertical, parallel to level ground and some say exactly the opposite. Vertical the only safe way.

I know the answer for carp. The fish guys for the most part agree because of the carp liver location. Other than that I have no particular opinion or knowledge. Pike are really really long.

Ha ha - Maybe the "proper" way is 45 degrees as some suggest??

Phone

(a lot of the discussion revolves around those "holder thingies" which I can't remember the name of right now)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who will pay for the course? Who will pay for the admin? What if someone forges a pass certificate and the water owner gets fined. There is a lot more to it than just saying lets introduce compulsory learning. It is one thing to say everyone should pass a course but I think it is just so unrealistic and nobody would bother anyway just like a lot of people ignore the rod license. Who will police the anglers pike fishing on canals and rivers. Do they need to pass the course too? Maybe we should ask the EA to enforce the course and certificate as they do such a stellar job with the rod license.

I love fishing for barbel and I catch a lot of fish with hooks in them etcso would you suggest that a course be passed by everyone looking to fish for barbel? Why should pike get preferential treatment?

Not being an arse for the sake of it or loooking to start an argument but I am just pointing out that while your views are valid they are also a little unrealistic in practice. :huh:

I don't see anything wrong with things how they are. Common sense is the only thing that is needed. No matter what you will get inevitable casualties whether caused by inexperience or just bad luck. If we want to avoid it all together we may aswell hang up our rods.

A course wouldnt change anything. Look at todays drivers. They all drove well enough to pass their tests but do you honestly think that the majority of them continue to drive as they did on their test?

I can't give you your answers scopex because i do not know how it would be put into operation. Which is kind of what i said which is based on 'In the ideal world'?

I fail to see why you have got so upset it was just a thought for the good of everyone. I really think you have taken my post rather seriously which was not my intention and for that i am sorry if you felt that way :sad2:

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

It's a touchy subject Hawk. I'm self-certified 'Pike-Police'. I hate seeing them handled or unhooked incompetently. Unfortunately by the time you see it happening, it's usually too late.

I just make sure I do my very best not to be one of them and now rarely carry a net, just a glove. A bit naughty in some peoples eyes but I'm comfortable with it. Bet I don't make the grade to pass because of that alone.

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

I just make sure I do my very best not to be one of them and now rarely carry a net, just a glove. A bit naughty in some peoples eyes but I'm comfortable with it. Bet I don't make the grade to pass because of that alone.

Not in my eyes mate nets (and dare I say it sometimes unhooking mats as well) are an unecessary item when piking! Thats me failed as well then! BUT only if the wrong people are testing!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Sod mats! I like to stay mobile, can't be carrying one of them with me too. Especially as most of my Pike rarely leave the water. Unless I'm being all photocrapic.

Then I admit, I'll risk it.

FAIL!

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Sod mats! I like to stay mobile, can't be carrying one of them with me too. Especially as most of my Pike rarely leave the water. Unless I'm being all photocrapic.

Then I admit, I'll risk it.

FAIL!

I do take and use one when I deem it to be useful,eg in the boat,gravel banks,concrete embankments etc.I also take a net in some situations.But I feel a blanket "you must carry/use" attitude shows a bit of a lack of understanding of pike fishing and indeed the items them selves! But like I said experienced pike fishing "testers" would know this and explain these variations.However for me that really wouldn't be what the whole thing was about!

BUDGIE,

Yes, that's them.

Phone

Pretty generally frowned upon here for UK fishing mate.I cant really speak from experience as Ive never used them but simply dont like the idea of a pikes entire weight being held on such a small area.Also with the handling techniques used by competent pikers they aren't really needed.

BUDGIE,

Never used them myself. In fact, I don't believe personally I've ever even seen them in use. For sure they would destroy a carp with such a soft mouth and no jaw if not used exactly correctly (if that is even possible). Not for carp.

Phone