the man who wants every zander dead

mark barrett

Boats on the Fens, even the Ouse, are nothing compared to the Broads nutters. Wroxham Bridge in summer is almost indescribable... gridlock of boats. At least it was last time I saw it in summer, more than 10 years ago.

On the Nene, the boaters aren't usually holidaymakers, but rather enthusiasts who own their own boats. They are usually courteous and will mostly head for the far bank when they approach an angler. A lot slow down, too. Easy enough to live with.

Canoeists are a different matter, They believe they have the divine right to paddle up into every little watery nook and cranny. I was once fishing a small, weedy (private) backwater in midsummer when a bunch of idiots (sixth former from the local public school, I think) came straight in, ignoring my presence. They didn't ignore me for long. Perhaps I was guilty of being a little rowdy myslef on that occasion. They certainly learnt some new words.

Fenboy

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you on the canoe issue, and 'they' want to increase canoe access on the Upper Waveney, grrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Winter boating on the Broads is probably 90% pikers. Very few other boats out on the water but because the River Inspectors are off the water a few idiots consider themselves completely above the law.

fenboy:

Roy Marlow's comments in today's AT about Peter Collins' actions were a disgrace. He basically suggests that if the law doesn't suit commercial fishery owners' interests, then they should take the law into their own hands.

I do hope that the EA keep a close watch on Mr Marlow.

Incidentally, since we are talking about fishery laws and prosecutions here, then obviously the piker who fished with his rods too far apart should also be prosecuted. Whether we agree with it or not, that's the law.

Oh yes, and the same applies to cormorants. If they are a protected bird, then nobody should be seeking to illegally shoot them.

Cos if we don't follow the law, we get anarchy. And then the Peter Collinses of this world can hardly be criticised for breaking it to suit their own ends, can they?

I felt exactly the same when I read Roy Marlows letter in AT.

He openly states that "bad laws are useless" ( I guess he decides if a law is bad or not ) and says "it does not matter if there is a law or not when it comes to protecting his fishery". dangerous ground when you try to put yourself above the law.

I enjoy pike fishing, have never had the opportunity to fish for zander - but if I did I would jump at it, so my feeling is throw the book at Peter Collins. He openly broke the law. The people who know this area seem to challenge his logic - stating that the silver fish populations are strong.

However, sustitute the word zander for cormarant and I would say good on you, kill them all. So I'm aware of contradicting feelings. I would think I'm not alone in feeling this way.

zander are an ILEGALY stocked species which are "decimating" silver fish and as to this i thinnk that it is up to the fishery owner/manager whether he wants them there or not, as to rivers controlled by the ea its there responsibility to get rid of them.

the commaerants need culling, all of them.

hmmmm really

The main issue is not whether zander should be culled or not, it is whether Collins is above the law, and whether the EA has a commitment to uphold the law.

Zander were originally stocked quite legally. The EA has a legal responsibility to uphold the law. Zander have become a balanced part of the Fenland environment over the past forty years.

ben88 as peter has quite rightly stated in the area where collins set his dead lines zander were stocked by the older version of the EA, get your facts straight before you spout such a load of drivel.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Had a reply to my e-mail from the ACA re Mr.Collins, they do not know the background in sufficient detail to comment on any possible prosecution, when I get some time I will write to their legal eagle with the full story.

I cannot see what difference there is between Mr.Collins and any other illegal action resulting in hazard to wildlife and fish kill.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

"decimating" silver fish

So Zander have killed one in every ten silver fish? Probably healthy for the overall tiddler population to have numbers reduced a little.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President