Rochdale Canal - Centre of Manchester

I have just got a job in the centre of Manchester near Oxford Road station and what I believe is the Rochdael Canal.

Can anybody tell me what is in the canal (if anything!) and who owns the fishing rights?

Regards,

Martin

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin, as the author of fishing in lancashire, given that manchester is the blinking heart of it, I'd have recommended you as the person to answer the question!

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Not sure who owns it now. I think Stockport AS owned a fair amount of the rights upto the Rochdale area (where Todmorden AS take over), but I now think Oldham AS took over the lengths they had earier this year. Stock wise, they've drained and refilled certain lengths that often (to remove can's/bottles/bikes/ the odd body etc. etc.) for the boats to pass though, that I wouldn't like to guess (the closer you go towards Castlefield basin the less often they've seemed to have drained). I've often wondered about the odd lunch time session up behind Piccadilly station (also have the Ashton Canal there), but I've now moved offices, although am now right next to the R.Irwell which is supposed to have a good head of roach.

Manchester is now actually in Greater Manchester and therefore wasn't included in the book !

There were enough fisheries in the current Lancashire boundaries to fill the book.

Might update it and add in G Manchester.

I have also heard the Irwell has good roach fishing.

Not sure what I need the flak jacket for - working or fishing in Manchester!

Regards,

Martin

Just for fishing Martin. I hear that most of the

buildings have bullet proof glass fitted as

standard.

Inside every old person is a young one wondering what the hell happened!

yeah martin...make sure you're tooled up, and wearing real-tree everythin' so the scallies can't see you LOL :D:D

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

Looks like the only way I'm going to find out if there is anything in there is give it a go in my lunch hour.

So if you see some freak with a lure rod and suit thats me!

I guess there may be at least a few fish in there. I might be able to scratch a perch or two out?!

Regards,

Martin

Martin I'm not sure any club has it. What I can tell you is west of Piccadilly upto the Failsworth boarder Troydale Tenants and Resident Fishing Club lease it. BW have recently stocked those sections with £5Ks worth of mixed species. As Andy M has already pointed out the lock sections in the Gay village have been dewatered that many times, there's probably very few fish in those section. Andy's also right to suggest you go down toward Castlefields rather than up into the centre of the city.

As for the Irwell it does have some very good roach in it. However, the accessible section is now leased by Granada Sports and Social Club and members only. As for those who suggest you'll need a flack jacket in M/C YOU Cheeky B*******. You couldn't buy an apartment overlooking that area for less than 300K. And my City is no less violent than any city in the land. In fact it's actually less violent in the City Centre than some of country hick towns and villages are at weekend.

phil h.