Do you have any species that ....

Newt

A 10lb male Grayling in a flowing river.....mouthwatering..!!

Paul

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

The fight from thick-lipped mullet on coarse tackle has to be experienced to be believed.
I'll go along with that also. When I was in the Navy I'd often catch them with a light spinning outfit whilst they were grazing on weed growing on the casing.....Only ever seemed to catch one and the rest would disappear for hours....I didn't realise that they made good eating though, thought the opposite although I've never tried them.

Paul

I have great fun in the summer spinning for mackerel on light coarse gear. They sure do put up a good fight for small fish. All the other anglers down there with their rigs of six feathers on a beachcaster look at me as if I'm completely doo-ally.

peter mccue:

I'll go along with the Mullet fans.

I caught them up to 3lb whilst on holiday at Bude in Cornwall. Fantastic fighters, taste good as well.

Don't eat too many, and especially not the big ones.

In UK waters, it takes ten years for a mullet to reach 3lbs. That's when they start to spawn for the first time.

If you think a 3lber fights hard, try a 7lber!

The problem is that few fish are given the chance to grow to that size :(

Also avoid eating fish caught in or near estuaries, or anywhere near (within 15 miles) of a sewage outfall.

They live mainly by digesting micro-organisms from out of the bottom mud, having an amazingly long intestine, taking a long time to extract nutrition from the ingested mud.

That's 10years plus of sucking up estuary mud polluted by pesticides, PCBs and heavy metals!

Mullet are definitely on my list of fish not to be eaten

Far too valuable as a sport fish anyway :)

Tight Lines - leon

Medway Mullet Group

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/medway

ps (Most people reckon they taste crap!)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

quote:

Do you have any species that make you thing, "if these things got really big, they'd be the hardest fighting fish that ever lived"?
cccoooo a 15lb guppy that makes you think

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

We get some very large mullet on Oulton Broad. The Broad is separated from Lowestoft Harbour by a lock. The mullet hang round the seaward side of the lock all summer long, some long fish too!

Sometimes these mullet come through the lock and onto the Broad. Whether the freshwater irritates them or whether just for the joy of living these fish cavort and jump all over the Broad early on a warm summer's day.

They are near uncatchable, although bread catches the occasional one. The Broad held the record for the thin lipped ( I think) bass for a short time. It was caught by a lucky school boy.

A few of us have been fly fishing for them, with varying degrees of success. A white 'fluffy bugger' fly proving a worthwhile bait.

Possibly because of not getting back to the salt side I see the odd dead mullet in the reeds. Other dead fish get picked up by pike or otters, but the dead mullett will rot away. The conclusion being that mullet don't make for good deadbaits!