Any one see River Monsters last night?

Dales

Totally agree Ian but its the "sensationalism" that sells the programme to the wider public and of course far more importantly of all the companies that fund it.Price we have to pay I suppose to be able to watch something a little bit more exciting than Jo Bloggs catching a few skimmers on his local canal! (although that in itself would be an improvement over yet another carp-commercial!)

True Budgie, it just gets on me wick though, making a creature out to be something what it isn't in a so called fact based programe.

Dales, narrh, not scarred by the salamander bud :). I used to breed them myself when I was a kid...Axolotles that is (much smaller than the giant salamanders on the programe). They where the salamamder sprog and when the water level dropped and dried up the axolotl lost it's gills etc and changed into a land dwelling salamander...not scary but very interesting.

I've kept and bred all kinds of creatures over the years including Budgies, I suppose the macaws I breed now are giant Budgies but not as big as AN's Gigantic Budgie :D.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Other than speaking to Paul Boote and Jeremy after a presentation they did at a NASA or PAC do (cant remember which) I dont know Jeremy but would love to know when he really caught the target fish on a lot of his programmes!

Obviously they are allways edited so that the big un is the climax of the programme and that the "failing to catch" adds to the tension a la "time running out" style but I wonder if he has ever turned up and in the first few days of a several week long filming expedition caught the fish straight away!

It doesn't bother me though as obviously a bit of "poetic licence" is required to make a programme better. His personal mannerisms grind (its a fish,its a fish,its a fish etc etc etc) but regardless of the "help" he now gets through the programme he still went out there (with Booty admittedly) and made a name for himself long before Jungle Hooks etc. Once again we have to remember that programmes dont make good anglers but good anglers get asked/accepted to make programmes.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It doesn't bother me though as obviously a bit of "poetic licence" is required to make a programme better. His personal mannerisms grind (its a fish,its a fish,its a fish etc etc etc) but regardless of the "help" he now gets through the programme he still went out there (with Booty admittedly) and made a name for himself long before Jungle Hooks etc. Once again we have to remember that programmes dont make good anglers but good anglers get asked/accepted to make programmes.

From what i've seen of him angling i'd say on occassions he looked like a total novice. I'd say as in most things in life it's who you know and not what you know.

For what it's worth, my wife who is a non-angler is hooked on the program :rolleyes:

And this of course is the whole thing behind an "angling" programme.It simply has to apeal to far more wider audience than hardcore anglers for it to be viable.

And in reflection if I'm honest as a "hardcore angler" the only angler focused TV or video/DVD programmes Ive ever seen have bored me rigid to! Look at "Hooked" or any of those carp DVDs they play endlessly in tackle shops these days?

BUDGIE,

Well, when I come next, I'll catch one in a most "fanciful" manner for the AN "hardcore anglers". Wouldn't want you dace (dink) fishermen to be bored.

Phone

(the key is to make it LOOK hard)

I quite like the ‘Mythical side of things’ its not to be believed but it’s interesting in historical terms how we used to believe in Mythical gods and serpents. One day I can see the future looking back and laughing at the religions of today just as we in part are to them.

The only thing which annoys me about such programmes is when you are assumed you are an idiot!

The prime example was a graph showing this fish how it moved several times just before during and after an Earthquake. Well if you lived flat on the ocean floor as it decided to vibrate as the tectonic plates moved you might do the same. And what was the simulator got to do with things you could have tuned in and thought it was the geography channel. Elephants broke their chains and animals went berserk hours before an earthquake as in a tsunami. Even birds sense it and disappear.

But on the flip side you see some right monsters whether he caught them or not

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

If you hadn't noticed, a much better hour long version is usually shown on ITV4 a day or two later, for example they showed the salamander one last night at 21:00. More fishing in the unedited longer version, he also fished for the Japanese version of the Wels catfish but failed to catch, some aquarium catfish were shown.