Colour of lines...What really?

Dave H

I now see all sorts of colour freshwater lines In my tackle shop I saw brown,green,grey,transparent and a few more (I am sure I saw like a dull Red?). The tackle manufacturers do not produce unless profitable.

Different lines for different waters? Or Different lines for tackle tarts?

So here is one for you. A nice weed clear gravel pit. It seems quite apparent which one you would use but then is it? The plot thickens LOL

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

I now see all sorts of colour freshwater lines In my tackle shop I saw brown,green,grey,transparent and a few more (I am sure I saw like a dull Red?). The tackle manufacturers do not produce unless profitable.

Different lines for different waters? Or Different lines for tackle tarts?

So here is one for you. A nice weed clear gravel pit. It seems quite apparent which one you would use but then is it? The plot thickens LOL

coloured lines have been out for ages.

supposedly fish cant see red very well~ hence the red ones.

seem to recall tw@ hayes created some felt tip pens to colour in his rig tackle as well at some point.

does it really make a difference? who knows...but when you watch an underwater video and see how much crap can get coated on your line i kind of think not! LOL!

having said that i use a "camo" line....prologics XLNT in 8lb which is a really nice thin mono...and at the time it was on a mega sale for 1000 yards! so i bought it...and have been using it ever since.

in the end you use whatever line you know and trust

i can remember multi coloured lines in the 60's ,then it was a different colour every 10 yards? from sylcast if i remember

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have recently acquired some nanofil which is white. I still haven't decided whether to colour the last meter or so.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

i just buy a generic 3 bob a mile reel brown stuff ,browns pretty pond bottom like i guess .

its stretchy no doubt thick for the BS but i'm a tight sod .

tried the modern low stretch stuff but found i snapped up more often using long fiberglass rods ,i expect the carbon ones do better? the tips seem much finer and flexible

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I know it has been out for a long time. I have fished since 1969 with only recently a break but in that break plastics and god knows what else has come out!

Only joking about the Red line.... :rolleyes:

But certainly the others. I think somebody has to give some long term technical data to convince me that one is better than the other.

But who knows ....That would be the fish...LOL

I'be been using some camouflage fishing line recently and had some success but it is impossible to say how much of it is down to the mainline.

What I find more interesting in the underwater video footage is how the fish react to the different line materials. From what I've seen so far, if they make contact with mono they seem to scarper, but with braided line not so much, almost as if they think it is 'legitimate' debris/weeds.

Carp-Catcha

Dave,

I did a bizillion tank tests (prior to 1992). There is/was no proof in long term technical data.

Catcha,

You have made a common mistake. Carp don't "think".

All,

In tank testing the only line carp avoided with a statistical difference was fluorocarbon. Those were "early" fluorocarbons and I understand the problem with light transmission has been corrected in the last few years.

Phone

Dave,

I did a bizillion tank tests (prior to 1992). There is/was no proof in long term technical data.

Catcha,

You have made a common mistake. Carp don't "think".

All,

In tank testing the only line carp avoided with a statistical difference was fluorocarbon. Those were "early" fluorocarbons and I understand the problem with light transmission has been corrected in the last few years.

Phone

That's an interesting fact and proved what i thought all along. Looks pretty on the reels i guess B)

With the red line, it's the colour that disappears at a certain depth, not the line - so the line is still visible but appears as black. (To us anyway, who knows what the fish see.)

Flourocarbon (plus other white/clear lines like Pro Tough) seems very bad for attracting tiny detritus, which slowly sticks to the line. So rather than being invisible it is often a speckled brown. If it's on the bottom that's not as issue, if it's mid-water it sticks out like a sore thumb. I dislike clear lines for that reason. Nice dull brown Sensor is always the first choice.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music