Might be Moving 'Essex Way'

Renrag39

There is the remote chance that I may be having to relocate for my job. Now I do love and hold very dear, Norfolk and Suffolk but the post I have applied for would have me based at Upminster.

Looking around on Rightmove, I've come across a few areas that appeal from the house price front and with decent rail access. Unfortunately, some are in places that are usually on fire. :shock:

One sticks out so far, Canvey Island.

Hopefully, that gives you a good idea of how far out I'm willing to be. To narrow it down a bit, ideally I'd like an area that is:

1) Affordable.

2) Decent connections to Rail services.

3) Within about 45m/1hr road commute (off peak). Maybe 20-30miles max.

4) North to East of the M25, I do NOT want to be inside the M25 if I can help it.

Any other suggestions or further info on Canvey Island and other places that may be suggested would be much appreciated.

Good fishing nearby is a bonus but unfortunately, not essential :(

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

There is the remote chance that I may be having to relocate for my job. Now I do love and hold very dear, Norfolk and Suffolk but the post I have applied for would have me based at Upminster.

Looking around on Rightmove, I've come across a few areas that appeal from the house price front and with decent rail access. Unfortunately, some are in places that are usually on fire. :shock:

One sticks out so far, Canvey Island.

I really would avoid Canvey if you are commuting - there is only one main road on and off the Island, and it is gridlocked most mornings, even more so right now as there are long term major roadworks on the saddlers farm roundabout (joining that road and the A13)

Of the towns on the same train line as upminster, Laindon Basildon and Pitsea are pretty much toilets, East Tilbury and Tilbury town not too bad, Stanford Le Hope is a nice little town (and has several good fisheries very close) Benfleet, Chalkwell and Leigh are quite nice, but a bit pricey, westcliff and southend have good and bad areas, with the bad areas generally being close to the two stations on that line.

Thorpe bay very nice, but expensive.

Shoebury, again good and bad areas, but the nicer areas are very expensive.

Mat

Mat

Bearing in mind that I haven't lived down that way for over 25 years and at the risk of offending people who do, it would have to be one hell of a good job to make me want to move there.

Canvey used to be covered in oil refineries and tank farms and residents were issue with escape routes off the island for when they all went bang. I think most are gone now.

I was there last year for a few days visiting on business and it was nicer than I remembered but I still would not live there for a bet.

As Matt says though, it is by no means the worst place in the area.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Thanks everyone, I'll take what you've all said into consideration. Its really helpful to have the 'toilets' confirmed, as opposed to me operating purely on rumour, thanks Mat.

The good thing about my shifts is that I'm never in rush hour traffic, 0600, 1400 and 2200 being my changeover times, plus I'd use my Motorbike to get from home to the station (free parking usually! :P).

At least I know why the Canvey Island prices are depressed now too, thanks Sportsman ;)

Any more ideas/suggestions, as well as information would be much appreciated.

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Ingatestone ? B)
Sounds like an anabolic steroid ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote