Banned Baits

essexboy

A bit like bikers do when they nod at each other (I used to be one of them). Kind of like a bit of comradeship.

Something that in general on "open" waters that has been lost.AND something we need to get back if Angling Unity is ever going to be possible.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit like bikers do when they nod at each other (I used to be one of them). Kind of like a bit of comradeship.

Something that has in general been lost on "open" waters in recent years AND something that's vital to any hope of Angling Unity.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I can understant that some anglers go fishing for peace and quiet, like I often do, but i'm always happy to chat about fishing to anyone that comes by.

It annoys me when you speak to ignorant people that either grunt or ignore you, your only being friendly and even if they dont want to chat much they dont have to be rude.

I often find match anglers to be grumpiest and hate to be disturbed.

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

davedave,

Different animal entirely if big money is on the line - - IMO.

Phone

This is true phone, but not an excuse for being rude

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Most of the anglers I meet are very friendly and polite but also quite guarded about giving too much away (as am I), so most of my conversations are quite good fun as we both chat in general while occasionally giving away little bits of info to each other. I have to admit I rarely tell the truth about what I've caught, unless it's nothing!

But I agree about respecting others' space and not disturbing their fishing. Asking people where they're fishing so you can avoid spoiling their day is simple manners. On the rivers I'll also ask if they've baited any swims for later - I don't want to drop into a swim that someone has gone to the effort of feeding and resting.

On the halfway rule on stillwaters, I once fished a lake where the anglers were so inconsiderate and selfish, ropes were strung across the lake to stop them casting into other people's swims. It's a sad day when things like that have to happen. I don't fish places like that any more regardless of the size of fish they contain - that to me is the exact opposite of what I go fishing for.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I often find match anglers to be grumpiest and hate to be disturbed.

You can add "proper" carp anglers to that. I'm sure there must be some pleasant ones out there, but most of the ones I've come across are proper t*ssers.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

You can add "proper" carp anglers to that. I'm sure there must be some pleasant ones out there, but most of the ones I've come across are proper t*ssers.

Yes i'd agree with that

Androo,

Here, all this time, I thought I was the only one on AN that lied.

Phone

I never admit to catching any more than a "couple of Chub" if I'm on the river, (anyone asking will only be interested in Barbel).