Perch success

Anthony78

Great perch Ant, nice one. :thumbs:

Can anyone help with the identity of the carp in the first photo. It appears to be cammon carp but has characteristics of a crucian or the old fantail carp I used to catch as a boy.

Yes that first carp does look a bit cruciany and if my counting is right (32) it has a scale count that suggest there could be something like crucian in it.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good, a big perch is the very biggest of fish.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Great perch Ant, nice one. :thumbs:

Yes that first carp does look a bit cruciany and if my counting is right (32) it has a scale count that suggest there could be something like crucian in it.

If my memory serves me correctly I don't believe that it had barbules either. I know it isn't a crucian but I am swaying towards a brown goldfish/king carp cross.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

I love it when a big perch displays its gut in the photo, when they get to that size they just all look like old warriors. Fantastic colours too, well done Ant!

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Ant,

Beautiful fishes. However I am not a perch guy. I am however interested in the carp. Much like Emma I counted the scales. In common caro (scaley carp) the scales are large, and number 32-40 along the lateral line. I only count 31 on both sides. Of course I could be missing one a the tail very easily.

Just FYI in answer to your question. The fish cannot be a cross of the fish usually referred to in the UK as a "king carp" They are also known as a leather carp. Here is the inheritance of scale pattern (“scaly” SSnn, Ssnn; “mirror” ssnn; “line” SSNn, SsNn and “leather” ssNn). The NN allele is lethal.

King carp cross can only produce mirrors.

If it did not have barbles it is a cross with another species of crypid - not common carp. Which, in and of itself while not unheard of is NOT common. Our most common crossover in the US is with goldfish. That doesn't look like a goldfish cross to me.

In either case IMO it is not an original stock considered "British". Of course to be certain an expensive DNA test would be required.

Phone

Edit: Often my Brit carp anglers over here do not distinguish between "line" (linear) and "mirror". They are, however, different.

Edited by Phone

Well done mate.

a good read and a stunning looking Perch

Darrell

Thanks guy's.

To be honest as the water is highly coloured due to the number of carp in there I fully expected any perch I caught to be washed out but was more than pleasantly surprised with this fish as the colours/markings were perfect.

Phone,

Thanks for the info. I'll pass on the expensive DNA test on this occasion ;) I think I'll start asking around to see if anyone recalls a recent stocking of carp and whether they can shed some light on the strain.

Does anyone know if stocking records can be easily sourced?

Thanks

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Many congratulations indeed!! That's a fish of a lifetime! :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

great looking perch, may have to try powers to perswade the lake owner i go to to let me use some small roach as bait ...

HONOR IS DOING THE RIGHT THING, EVEN WHEN NOBODY IS LOOKING ...

Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

"Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing and regret it for the rest of the day. So now i will do the opposite, and i will do something..." George Costanza