This might interest some people

Anderoo

The likes of Peter Stone and Dick Walker kick started the specimen culture we see today in the UK. What they did not see or even envisage is the 'male jewellery' aspect that has overshadowed sports like specimen hunting and even bird watching where acquisition and display of equipment is far more important than gaining experience. Nor did they expect their efforts to lead to anglers fishing waters at home and abroad where the numeric weight value of their catch totally overshadowed any expertise necessary to succeed in landing the catch other then picking the right place to pay their money to fish.

In Peter Stone's day a 20lb carp was something to behold. It might take a lifetime to achieve. Today angler's who couldn't live with his skills expect to catch fish two and a half times that weight sometime during their week's holiday, or the venue is at fault. Sadly that is what carp fishing has become.

That's why I targeted barbel. The last great wild freshwater coarse fish species in the UK - for now.

Yup Im with this.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'll drink to that.

...now that reminds me of my favourite Peter Stone story.

One of his favourite baits was soft bread paste. He was a wizard at making it - and catching on it.

How soft is soft?

Fred J Taylor summed it up. "Fish don't eat your paste Stoney, they drink it"

Ha ha! Love it :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

He had a superb anglers brain but also anglers like him also appreciated the countryside too and the wildlife. He could talk for ages about his surroundings that he fished in.

John Wilson I know was not everybody’s cup of tea but he too talked about his setting. I remember a series of programmes where he showed the creation of his lake stage by stage.

These first well known anglers loved their rivers in particular and I think there is nothing more special than catching a river fish it just seems to give me that tiny bit more of a thrill than a Stillwater

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

A barbel is just a stretched out carp and is a much easier fish to catch than a carp in natural conditions. Most barbel have been artificially stocked n'all.

I disagree. A specimen barbel is far harder to catch than a big carp just on location alone. Only the bite is more decisive. And I think that you will find that barbel are amongst the least likely fish to have been stocked in the UK.

Regards, Clive

I disagree. A specimen barbel is far harder to catch than a big carp just on location alone. Only the bite is more decisive. And I think that you will find that barbel are amongst the least likely fish to have been stocked in the UK.

Tigger is being a bit pedantic but if you look into it what he is saying is strictly true! Most of the UK rivers that now have a head of barbel were indeed stocked. Admittedly they are not still regularly stocked but Barbel are certainly not indigenous to a lot of them.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

... and I think there is nothing more special than catching a river fish it just seems to give me that tiny bit more of a thrill than a Stillwater

I am the same on that score dave. I get such a buzz out of catching river fish. Maybe it is the wild(er) setting and the feeling of being in tune with the river on certain days. Give me a handful of small chub plucked out of a small river over a 30lb boilie fed carp or net full of stunted roach any day. I cant think of anything better than trotting on the Ribble when it is having an on day. A dace a chuck, the odd chub and eventually the kamikazee barbel come out to play. Happy days. The surroundings are far nicer too. I would much rather be surrounded by trees and wildlife than radios and lager louts. Each to his own though. ;)

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

I would much rather be surrounded by trees and wildlife than radios and lager louts. Each to his own though. ;)

Trouble is the rivers round here are getting like that n'all, there seems to be more heads on the bank than ever !

Trouble is the rivers round here are getting like that n'all, there seems to be more heads on the bank than ever !

Even the PAAS stretches Ian?

I have to say the stretch I often fish doesnt always seem that busy but that could be due to me arriving early before anyone else and then leaving after everyone else so maybe I just dont notice :D

Even the PAAS stretches Ian?

I have to say the stretch I often fish doesnt always seem that busy but that could be due to me arriving early before anyone else and then leaving after everyone else so maybe I just dont notice :D

Yeah Rik they can get busy at times. Obviously there's no radios or beer swillers etc, it's not allowed or they're off and won't be back :).

Yeah Rik they can get busy at times. Obviously there's no radios or beer swillers etc, it's not allowed or they're off and won't be back :).

Ah right. Dont mind them being busy as long as they aren't rammed full of idiots chucking cans about etc lol.