Tennis Elbow.

Paul_D

Be wary of Ibuprofon or other anti inflammatory drugs. :(

I (and many others) am allergic to them.

The reaction can be very violent.

I was rushed to hospital with the blue lights flashing etc. They thought I was having a heart attack.

All I did was take two tablets for an arthritic knee.

Go and see your GP, the cortisone injections do work for most people.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Contary to popular belief tennis elbow is caused by neck or spinal problems, not the elbow itself.

I have suffered repeatedly for years with it. The only treatment that was succesful was a session with an alternative practioner who manipulated my neck and spine. Two days later no pain in my elbow.

Contary to popular belief tennis elbow is caused by neck or spinal problems, not the elbow itself.

I have suffered repeatedly for years with it. The only treatment that was succesful was a session with an alternative practioner who manipulated my neck and spine. Two days later no pain in my elbow.

It may have worked for you grumpybum but I don't think you'll find it is considered the normal cause.

Have a look here:--

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1996/0..._96/nirscpa.htm

http://www.medinfo.co.uk/conditions/tenniselbow.html

http://www.medicalmultimediagroup.com/pate.../lepi/lepi.html

I should have added that when it was bad I found a "tennis elbow strap" to be quite effective.It stops the muscle below the elbow from pulling on the ligaments(that's my view of it anyway).

BTW my GP told me of a simple test to tell if it is tennis elbow.

You need a kettle with a horizontal handle over the top,pick up the kettle with your palm facing downwards,now pour,if it hurts it's tennis elbow.

It is Tennis Elbow as I've had it on and off for a couple of years now but once went to have it checked out by a G.P. who simply told me to rest it. My Sister-In-Law is (was) a Nursing Sister who has suggested the treatment may be as drastic as the Cortizone or even giving up fly fishing.

The other similar condition is, I believe, known as Golfers elbow. I wasn't too sure about the neck/spinal thing either, but I'm here to learn. Also, it isn't actually my elbow which is painfull unless direct pressure is put onto the tendon region. It is the musclature area where it meets the elbow presumably this is caused by strain to the tendons though.

Paul

hi Tinca sorry to hear you are under the weather.

Have you tried acupuncture some GP's offer this now ,its not as frightening as it sounds I had some for a back injury.Also GP's can refer you for physiotherapy,sometimes the physio is attatched to the surgery,not literally,there is a machine called a TENS machine which may help,the physio should have them.

or the pillows that go in the microwaves are Wheat pillows.

judy

ps.good luck

pps found this site

www.tennis.about.com/cs/tenniselbow/

[ 08. May 2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: nursejudy ]

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

My Cortizone injection was infinately worse than the pain from tennis elbow. Still it made tennis elbow sufferable after that, within a year it went away.

Sorry but I have to agree with G.bum! I had terrible tennis elbow for years. Had all the injections going (eventually they don't hurt at all you know!! Well after about 4 anyway!!)I had a release operation on my shoulder and since then the only grief I do get is down to the ruddy arthritis pain!!

I had it happen again last year and my other elbow started and that turned out to be Carpal tunnel!! Well that's what they said!! They also said after 6 weeks I would be ok? !8 months later I still have problems gripping things!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))