Carrera Bikes On Offer

Elton

Some here may recall that I lost a shed-load of weight a while back, partly through cycling, and now maintain a healthy lifestyle in order to stay that way.

My next step is to start cycling 'properly' My old bruiser of a mountain bike was fine for what I wanted, which was to get out, sweat a bit and get some fresh air in my lungs. Now, my desires have changed somewhat - I want to cycle more, I want to cycle further and I want to cycle further.

A couple of my friends are knowledgeable cyclists. One of them uses a bike that costs over £2,500, but my budget wasn't quite that large! The other is an ex-pro racer and builds bikes for a living, so he knows a bit ;)

With my budget, he advised me to get a Carrera TDF. This is the one I just reserved - http://www.f1sh.es/Carrera - and I went for the option of the Shimano SPD-SL PDR 540 pedals.

They are usually £500 and if you read around the subject, they compare well against more expensive bikes, even at that price. With £170 off this weekend, I decided to take the plunge!

It's quite scary when you start looking at bike reviews - £500 doesn't even feature on the radar of many review websites. £1000 is considered a 'cheap' bike' :o

I'm really looking forward to getting out and about on it now and putting a few miles on it :) I've spoken to a few fitness trainers about what I want to achieve and they have all said that cycling is an excellent way of doing that and, as I enjoy it anyway, I figure I can't lose. Although I've managed to maintain an exercise regime, I find static exercising dull and uninspiring - this is more motivational.

Anyone else here into cycling?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Yay! Just rang Halfords and the bloke will have it ready for me today (a day early!) :D

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

I've also heard that the Carreras are better than you would expect. I've also heard that getting your mate who builds bikes to look it over might not be a bad idea if the Halfords guys are setting it up for you ;)

I commute by bike and agree that they are hardly value for money.

Sadly, although I'm quite likely to need a new toy this summer, I'd shake a road bike to pieces on my routes so have to go down the hybrid route.

Just as a little point of interest, a basic brand new adults bike from Hero in India is now £25 and a Hero Honda (Honda are forced to operate in partnership with an Indian company) 110cc scooter is £630 on the road.

Certainly puts the UK price of a basic bicycle into context.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I cycle to and from work 5 days a week (about 13miles a day) and then throw in a trip or two on the weekends (depending on weather) the longest of which I did last year was 85 miles (I hope to break the ton this year). I used to use a carrera vulcan mountain bike which I recently sold to buy a full suss bike. As far as I know carrera frames used to be made by merida but whether they still are I'm unsure.

Here she is:

bike.jpg

Ended up speaking to a random stranger in the car park for 30-minutes after this photo was taken. A guy called Matt had parked next to me - fellow Land Rover enthusiast and, it turns out, an angler!

How does it ride, Elton? Is it a lot lighter than your mountain bike?

It's a lot lighter than my old mountain bike, but as it peed it down with rain all weekend, I can't answer the other part of your question yet! :(

Test ride went without any hiccups!

Steve - definitely faster, but just like cars, the compromise is comfort. Flat bit of road = fine, but hit a bumpy bit and you get the full effect :)

I haven't cycled over winter and need to get my fitness back up to a decent level - one of my mates has suggested doing the Norwich 50 with him in May! :o

"I were right about that saddle, though"

Youtube Video ->

Padded shorts or a gel seat!

We've been thinking about getting road bikes, but I think for now we will just put some more road orientated tyres on the mountain bikes - although we aren't exactly chucking them down mountains or mud-plugging, we do spend a lot more time on paths and tracks than on tarmac.