Fish thefts from The Broads?

teebee

Welcome Bob Bradford

How is your head? Your name arrived at AN before you did! I posted on here about the incident at Gypsy corner.

I also heard you won the open on the Yare the day after.

There seem to be very few matchmen on AN and I think you may be one of the few who fish opens.

Be prepared by some friendly pi$$ taking.

I only fish club matches as do a few others.

A worm on the end has alot of match experiance.

[ 07. April 2005, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: RUDD ]

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rudd, am I really communicating with a fish? he he.

I don't know what you know, about what happened to me last October, but here is an update.

I was attacked and struck on the head with a felling axe, ( the sort of axe you would use to chop a tree down with) the force of the blow made me drop to my knee and knocked a filling out! I was struck with the blade and it cut through my baseball cap and sliced my head, I got up straight away, and as I was rising, the traveller tried to finish me with another blow to my head, which I parried with my upper arm, this scared him, as did the sight of my 18 stone 24 yr old son ! the guy and his mate with a spade ran off never to be convicted. I receieved a lot of stitches and some glue to the wound at Addenbrookes hostpital and my son drove me home. I took my wife out for her birthday meal (as promised ) that night and the following day fished the Norfolk and Suffolk winter league match on the river Yare, I had a hell of a headache and only managed to finish 3rd in fact, Mick Bartrum at the next peg showed me no mercy and beat me by 1 ounce! again I had promised to turn out for Eastern match group and was determined not to let them down.

My head is fine and I have to say Addenbrookes did a magnificent job, unlike Cambridgeshire police, but that is another story mate.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Hi Bob, very interesting article in Angling Times this week. Seems there is a major shortage of fish meal for the boilie trade. Now, if what you say is proven right, and fish are being netted from the Broads, then there is, undoubtably a market for dead fish. Seems that our roach aren't going down the gullets of big, bad pike, but quite likely into the guts of already obese carp! Well, that's us pikers off the hook then, so to speak!! Got to blame someone !

It's great when the mystery is solved Peter! well done, you should be a detective!

Seriously, I have no Idea what fate beheld those fish, except I doubt they are swimming around in the Thurne or the Bure!

Like most valuable assets in this Country, if they are left unattended somebody will make use of them!

What will be interesting to see, is the effect it will have on Tourism on the Norfolk Broads, hire fleets are part of a multi million pound leisure industry, and whilst I conceed not everyone that hires a cruiser or boat wants to catch some fish, it is top of the list for many.

Bob,

You may be interested to know, Cambridgeshire Police have provided all the Travellers in the area with a CD advising them of THEIR RIGHTS if they are racially abused. The next CD the police are likely to produce is advise travellers of THEIR RIGHTS after being attacked by the 24 stone son of an angler!

You have my admiration, as has Tony Martin!

Shame your lad didn't get hold of them.

Colin

Sorry to go off subject.

Is the EA that is doing nothing about this the same EA that's going to enforce the new anglers charter?

Good luck!

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Colin, yes! I heard about this scheme, I think it has cost the tax payers about £100,000 so far! I have a very good supporter for my cause, she is a Councillor on Cambridgeshire South Dist, and lives in the next village to the illegal travellers site in Cottenham, Travellers have more rights than the ordinary citizen of this Country, but contribute nothing toward it's upkeep, quite the reverse in fact.

Sportsman, Exactly! There are some very fine words in that Charter covering all aspects of the EA and their duty's, and when one reads through the charter, one could be forgiven for being heartened by it's content,

All words though! When was the last time you read about an EA proscecution for fish thefts?

Mr Pyett has openly admitted to me that , in 16 yrs working for the EA he has NEVER been involved in a proscecution for fish thefts! SIXTEEN YEARS!!!!

Bob Bradford

quote:

the guy and his mate with a spade ran off never to be convicted
the mind boggles if he done that to you and got away with it, it will not be long before he does it again, where there could be a death.

Casey:

Bob Bradford      

quote:

the guy and his mate with a spade ran off never to be convicted  
the mind boggles       if he done that to you and got away with it, it will not be long before he does it again, where there could be a death.
There all ready has been!

37 blokes in a pub after hours, one is the Landlord, one the victim and 35 travellers. The first two aren't guilty! The police are continuing with their enquiries??

Happened in Cottenham.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

This was discussed at practically no length whatsoever at a Broads Angling Strategy Group meeting this evening. Attending were both EA and Broads Authority reps plus a number of angling worthies.

Back in Jan the EA, as part of a saline barrier research project, had done a fish survey in the Woods dykes, there were 230 odd fish in there!

The alleged theft took place in wet boatsheds that contain boats, would you believe! Not an easy place to net.

The gates to the boatyard in question are locked at night, as I found to my cost the other night when I went to collect my car, grrrrrrrrrrr!

Seems that those 'in the know' have this unsubstantiated theory that someone might just have paid money to fish an area that had no fish and might have been covering his/her backside! Only a theory you see, and I stress that!

Not no one, but no one thought it was theft.