Censorship?

Peter Waller

The debate on the CA Memorandom had probably run its course. No one was prepared to answer perfectly reasonable questions. Some of the questions were becoming, perhaps, tedious, especially as no one was answering them. But for all its 117 posts there really had been no real unpleasentness. As is typical of AN the debate had remained civilised, despite the strength of feeling in opposing directions. By the fact that a number of SAA members post on this site it become rather targetted towards, both pro and anti, the SAA. Some of it was destructive but I think it fair to say that the intention was with the best interests of angling at heart, and could therefore have been taken as constructive critiscism, which, from my point of view, was what was intended. Alan Roe, very clearly by his postings, is a keen supporter of the SAA and the MOU, he is also an AN moderator. Alan, as is his priveledge, has locked that thread. Leaving unanswered a number of pertinant & reasonable questions. My feeling is that had another moderator locked the thread, then so be it. I would have respected that action. For Alan to have done so is, I think, a breech of priveledge. Effectively it's censorship. As I say, the thread had just about run out of steam, had just about stopped on its own volition, so why 'censor' it?What do other folk think.

Peter as you rightly pointed out the thread had run it's tedious course.

You are correct that I am an SAA supporter I did not at any time though reveal my personal feeling in respect of the MOU nor am I ever likely to do so other than in the context of a debate in the approprate forum which is a meeting of the SAA and not a public entertainment forum!.

The thread was closed in response to the promptings of others who asked me to do so, I closed the thread openly I do not have to do this.

It is very sad that a person as potentially articulate as your good self seems only to use that gift to stir up negativity.

I look forward to the day when I see some positivity eminating from your good self though I am beginning to feel that I am liable to be waiting a very long time.....

Quite honestly old lad I along with many others are getting a little fed up with your constant whinging when something ....anything occurs that you the Great Peter Waller doesn't like!!!

Having meandered through many of your posts over time one has to draw the conclusion that you aspire to become the Victor Meldrew of the angling forums.... In that aspiration you are coming close to realising your dream!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

I think I am real glad it is locked since I don't have to watch it for nastys any longer.

Looks like all the questions that were going to be answered, were. The others - unanswered - were pretty obviously going to continue to be ignored.

That being said, I can't remember a thread that long dealing with a topic that heated staying that civilized. Impressive.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

My finger hovvered over the 'lock' button last night and for the life of me I can't think of a good reason as why I didn't press it!

As someone who was sitting firmly on the fence, and with no bias, I fully support Alan's decision to close the thread.

The thread was going no where and as Newt has already said, all the answers that were going to be answered, were answered.

At least three moderators that I know of were prepared to close that one earlier, but decided to let it see if it remedy itself.

This thread is being moved to non-fishing. My inclination is to delete it, as I have stated before that we're not here to discuss the why's and wherefore's of running a site. However, as three moderators have already replied, I won't incur their wrath :)

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Alan Roe:

The thread was closed in response to the promptings of others who asked me to do so, I closed the thread openly I do not have to do this.

It is very sad that a person as potentially articulate as your good self seems only to use that gift to stir up negativity.

I look forward to the day when I see some positivity eminating from your good self though I am beginning to feel that I am liable to be waiting a very long time.....

Quite honestly old lad I along with many others are getting a little fed up with your constant whinging when something ....anything occurs that you the Great Peter Waller doesn't like!!!

Having meandered through many of your posts over time one has to draw the conclusion that you aspire to become the Victor Meldrew of the angling forums.... In that aspiration you are coming close to realising your dream!!

My reply to this will not win me any friends, but feel it needs to be said anyway.

In my opinion, if the above had been said by anyone other than a moderator, it would have been closed or probably deleted immediately!

This is a direct insult on an individual who has simply put his views across on a public forum - nothing more, nothing less! On the thread in question - the NAA/CA thread - no insult were made yet it was closed!

Sits back and waits for the flack - helmet on, etc,etc.... :D

I hope that this debate does not sink to the gutter. AN generally manages to remain above that level.

As I said, I was quite happy that the thread was closed, but not by Alan, because of his, as I see it, vested interest. I think Newts comments are the most valid, and, as a neutral, I think Newt would have been best placed to hit the close button.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my feeling is that when a moderator has a 'interest' in one side of a debate/civilised arguement on AN, then it's questionable as to whether that person should settle the debate by closing it. It is, I think, a breach of privilege, and it has happened before.

Thank you for your personal comments Alan. Atleast, when I dislike something, I don't simply turn on my petulant streak & close it down. Interestingly I was not alone in my comments.

And thank you to those of you who have already sent supportive e.mails, much appreciated.

Yours truly, Victor Meldrew :D

[ 10 April 2002, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

I think all us mods were pleasantly surprised that it lasted so long without getting nasty. However, just after 9.00pm yesterday I emailed Alan, Gaffer and Newt expressing my view that the thread had perhaps run its' course, and I think Alan was acting from that.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

ALAN don`t bother waiting go to the articles section and there you will find some good work by a peter waller,good arent they.

i can understand both sides of this debate and it was shall we say "unfortunate" that you were the one to close the thread.

however i believe your reply to peter was "out of order". :(

so can everyone please agree to disagree before this all dissolves into severe "unpleasantness".

later guys i`m going fishing