Pubs Closing

I'm sure you're right, Ken, but this pub: http://www.bluebellkidsgrove.co.uk/page11.html is about a 3 mile walk from where I live. You wouldn't want to drive there, because I'd defy anyone who likes their beer to just have one pint.

Sounds a bit like this one that I stumbled upon (and then out of!) a few weeks back:

http://www.henleycrosskeys.co.uk/

Guest beers from a pound! :drunk:

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that *is* a find in Suffolk - the prices have been pretty steep in the pubs I've been into in that county!

I've all but given up on our village local. It's £3.15+ a pint now. Such a shame, as it was one of the attractions when we were deciding where to live.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Brings back memories of parties in the 60s/70s where a well-shaken-up Party 7 was always the last alcohol (I use the word advisedly) left in the kitchen. Nobody ever had a proper opener, so it was attacked by all manner of instruments (both sharp and blunt) before finally discharging its contents all over the ceiling.

Which was probably the best place for it. :D

me and my mate used to quaff one on the way to the pub ,made it a little cheaper in the long run it saved on buying 7 pints in at the bar ,yes it was of questionable pedigree but far easier than carrying 7 brimming pint glasses :D

the little taps were excellent for squirting each other trough our noses ,how we laughed! (or retched) those were the days :wacko::huh:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

thats the goodness in guiness you know :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Used to regularly go to a pub for a natter with mates.

Then they introduced live music.

Loud and not very good, we stopped going.

Impossible to talk to one another, and without the social side might just as well stay at home and listen to good music by oneself with a bottle of Malbec.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Used to regularly go to a pub for a natter with mates.

Then they introduced live music.

Loud and not very good, we stopped going.

Impossible to talk to one another, and without the social side might just as well stay at home and listen to good music by oneself with a bottle of Malbec.

I'm exactly the same. With perpetual music playing in the background, people shout to each other in an effort to talk to each other. This has an escalating effect that makes many pubs horrible places to go into.

I can only speak for where I live, but here, the smoking ban has had no effect on attendances at all, in fact one pub has seen its customers virtually double at weekends. That's where the difference lies, as only the diehards and the alcoholics seem to go to the pub on week days, unless of course there is a "jug of ale night", where you can get four pints for six quid - then you get plenty of people in. It's pretty obvious that it's the need to save money that's affecting the pubs, not because smokers are deprived of their right to make everybody's clothes reek. Mind you, if those people stopped stinking out the pub doorways with fag smoke, they could probably afford to go out more.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I am a non-smoker and if I have more than three whiskeys a year, it is unusual. BUT I DO go to the pub almost every weekend for a meal.

I was quite upset about something that happened last weekend. I was waiting for my food when this guy walked up to the bar and DEMANDED that the barmaid move some (smoking) patrons from the tables outside as there was "not enough room for me and my wife" The barmaid explained that they were patrons, enjoying a beer and waiting for some sandwiches, and were entitled to be there. He replied "but they are SMOKERS and as such should not be using the tables - it was OK in the Winter, but we PATRONS (I've never seen him there before!) should not have to put up with their smoke!!

Brenda had to restrain me as I wanted to get up and deck him!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Just popped in for a nosey......is this another one of those smoke related threads , again? I hope so , it was great fun last time round.

No matter what is said , no matter what is proven , smoke (or the lack of it ) has nothing to do with the rise in pub closures , so the experts say.(huh!!!!)

I do remember having this exact same argument in a monumental thread not so long ago , with a lot of people stating that there would in fact be an increase in pub patrons due to the fact that they were now allowed to use their local without stinking of smoke. Whether it coincides with the credit crunch or not , the public places smoking ban hasn't helped one iota with the bar trade. It may even be the first nail in the coffin for them , as it's looking like it might be a long time before the economy starts to pick up.

Are we soon to become a nation of hermits , living in a soon to become 'sterile' environment where anything remotely bad for you is frowned upon? My my my , how quick this island has been turned on its head in such a short space of time.

Completely off topic but slightly relevant to the insanity that is the do-goody brigade......which may have caused the above

A new review / law towards killing someone in your car whilst on mobile phone / texting . The penalty has been raised to deter idiots from using a phone at the wheel , at long last. I was listening to the news on the radio this afternoon and they had this tw&t on from some sort of human rights / whatever solicitor and he was rather annoyed that the sentencing has gone up so much , stating that the death of a child weighing on the drivers mind should be enough of a deterrent to stop the man ever doing it again , he's very sorry for what he has done and has to live with it for the rest of his life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some middle aged git with a poxy degree has decided that he will defend such crap as this , it's the same everywhere you look , with pathetic silly little laws being introduced that 10-15 years ago would have been laughed out of court.

Sorry about that , right , back on topic.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009