biking to the lake

danny29

i am a 14 year old angler and my mum and dad have decided to get me to bike to the lakes that i want to fish this means i have to get all my tackle on a BIKE

I was just wondering if someone has already done this and how did they manage it ?

fishing rocks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on how much you'll be taking. I cycled to my fishing spots until I was in my early 30s and had no problem carrying my gear. But then I was going only for day trips.

I simply strapped my rods, landing net pole and banksticks to the crossbar. Then my chair went on a rear pannier thus forming a wider base for my rucksack.

What I'd suggest you avoid is anything on your shoulder, especially a rod holdall as you'll then be both unbalanced and the rod holdall may hit the ground or get stuck in a wheel.

I found a rucksack on my back no problem in these respects, but it was more tiring than on my chair and pannier.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

yup, steves right, rods and sticks tied securly to your cross bar and nets and other stuff either on a rear rack or panier (if using a rack then bungees may help and a rucksack if requird to hold more stuff. the point about nothing over the shoulder cant be to strongly made.

When i used to cycle to my spot I had to cycle over a very steep humpback bridge. to my dismay i found that one day as i was struggling up the incline the seat box that i had strapped over my shoulder swung around jamming itself at my side and made it impossible to get my elbow past my body.i.e unable to steer the bike. the consquence of this was as i ground to a halt the bike fell over with me going down with it on to a busy road. I was very lucky not to have been hit. lesson learned I never did that again. other than that though its not to much trouble and its a enjoyable means of transport and ideal for roving around with to.. tight lines.

fat, stupid hobbit.

danny, i'm only a year older than you and i always cycle to the river or lake except for in the winter. what i do is pretty much the same as what the others have said - tying the rod rests, rod and landing net handle to the cross bar of the bike. the rest is in a shoulder bag,bad thing to do i know, judging by what the others have said. i've been alright doing it though. in there is the usual stuff like tackle box, reels, bait, food etc.luckily i have a fold away stool that fits in the bag and although what i am about to say is nothing to do with putting gear on the bike, i thought i'd say it - i always feel as if people are staring at me as i ride along because i have all that gear with me. but i dont care because i'm doing what i like best.fishing.and thats all that matters.

a good thing to do is get a telescopic rod then it fits in a baackpack and you can put your baits and tackle in there most important thing is though travel light so no keepnets i dont even take a rod rest when biking. anyway nice to meet you im 15 and just started fishing again let us know how you get on

Yep, age 7 to 9 on foot, 9 to 16 on bicycle, learnt to travel light. Only one gear on bikes in my day unless you were a rich kid with a 3-speed Sturmey-Archer. So you had to make an effort to climb hills - by "standing on the pedals"

The good thing about the pushbike was you could lift it over a gate, tackle and all, and ride or wheel it right up to your swim.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Travel rod (telescopic or 4/5 piece), telescopic bank sticks. A small shoulder bag that is compartmentalised for tackle (I used to lug a bloody great seat box around the river until a few weeks ago, but nicked one from our stock and it is surprising how much gear you can get in one).

Posted Image

Ian W