Can I catch a tench on a hair-rigged twig?

Anderoo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The substances that make grapefruit bitter and unique from other citrus fruits is not the citric acid.
Naringin? Mercaptan? Nootkatone?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Cory,

I can't remember - - but I can go look if you really want to know. It is the beginning (or ending) in the nerve bundle of the lateral line.

Phone

If you could that would make my day. I've been Googling like mad trying to find it but so far I've drawn a blank.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Cory,

I forget (or I would have mentioned the substance in the first place). You want me to go look it (them) up? (again)

Phone

(BTW the bitterness in carrots was unique). You have to be both lucky and really good to catch carp on carrots (although they are a very weak bitterness). But then, twigs are not a "favorite" food execpt in the winter. Then, the often "play" out of instinctive bordom and the statistical likelyhood narrows. In this instance they, carp, are not feeding. Feeding has an exacting definition and element of survival.

Phone

Cory,

I forget (or I would have mentioned the substance in the first place). You want me to go look it (them) up? (again)

Phone

(BTW the bitterness in carrots was unique). You have to be both lucky and really good to catch carp on carrots (although they are a very weak bitterness). But then, twigs are not a "favorite" food execpt in the winter. Then, the often "play" out of instinctive bordom and the statistical likelyhood narrows. In this instance they, carp, are not feeding. Feeding has an exacting definition and element of survival.

Phone

If you don't mind then I would be much obliged. Sorry for the hassle but this thread has two themes that intrigue me. Fish sensory systems and the strange chemicals that are found in citrus fruits in general and grapefruit in particular. As an aside, do you know that you should never wash down any meds with citrus fruit juice, especially grapefruit?

Cory,

Phone

Phone

I think you can catch fish like carp and tench and bream (any fish that feeds in the way they do) on any bait, even things that in isolation they would find actively repellant - if you bait in a certain way and present the hookbait in a certain way and use certain rigs. They don't know or care exactly what they're picking up, and given the chance would expel anything they didn't want to eat once it's all been sucked up (fish suck up and blow out things like twigs and leaves all the time). The rig doesn't allow them that luxury. It's the baiting that catches the fish in these circumstances, not the hookbait.

As a single hookbait or with different feeding and/or rigs, it wouldn't work, as the non-food bait wouldn't get picked up in the first place.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I think you can catch fish like carp and tench and bream (any fish that feeds in the way they do) on any bait, even things that in isolation they would find actively repellant - if you bait in a certain way and present the hookbait in a certain way and use certain rigs. They don't know or care exactly what they're picking up, and given the chance would expel anything they didn't want to eat once it's all been sucked up (fish suck up and blow out things like twigs and leaves all the time). The rig doesn't allow them that luxury. It's the baiting that catches the fish in these circumstances, not the hookbait.

As a single hookbait or with different feeding and/or rigs, it wouldn't work, as the non-food bait wouldn't get picked up in the first place.

You could always do some more science for us Anderoo. Stick a bit of grapefruit rind on your rig and have a go. Thanks for posting this thread BTW, it's right up my street!

Cory, Androo,

Cory,

I looked Re: grapefruit. While bitterness in citrus is little understood the main constituant in grapefruit is naringin blah blah blah (source: some old papers I have). May I remind you I've not spoken to the carp. But they DON'T like grapefruit rind.

Androo,

You're right, every breath a common carp takes is also a feeding motion. The connective tissue on the top of the head cause suck and blow - feed and breath. One can't occur without the other.

Of course tank tests used comparative offerings and recorded statistical "choices" made. Since the fish were in the "area" there was no need for baiting. To invoke a "feeding response" starvation was chosen. I know, and you know, the number of variables do not allow for either end of the spectrum to be achieved with certainty. Otherwise, I'd be a millionaire with the "perfect" carp bait.

Phone

Cory,

On page (?) of this thread Androo accepted the challange.

I'll get more "detailed" information (and the source science) for the "brain" thing later. It is deeper in the pile than the bitter issue. NO, the lateral line "brain" is only remotely connected to the "functions" brain.

Phone

(I do remember non-fish discussions - maybe on the telly about grapefruit (and juice) and certain medications. I forget (or didn't care) what it is I'm supposed to do.

Edited by Phone

You could always do some more science for us Anderoo. Stick a bit of grapefruit rind on your rig and have a go. Thanks for posting this thread BTW, it's right up my street!

I'm planning to Cory! I can't see why it wouldn't work. The fish wants to eat the little pile of stuff the hook and hookbait is sitting in/on; to do that it has to suck everything there up in one mouthful; it then wants to expel anything it doesn't want to eat and eat anything it does want; but by that time, it's been hooked.

I will report back. It would be interesting if others experimented too.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music