Ghost carp

Phone

All,

From time to time I see references to "ghost carp" (a couple times in the last week or so). What is it you call a ghost carp?

I went out of my way to select a UK site that lists all known common possible combinations of carp DNA. Execpt among UK sports anglers for carp there is no such thing.

Here's the URL http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.antonio/antoniokoi_007.htm

Phone

BTW the word "koi" is the word "carp" in Japanese.

They're what's left over once you've sold he good Koi.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I always thought they were koi/common hybrids. Don't know for sure, though.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I always thought they were koi/common hybrids. Don't know for sure, though.

They are a hybrid of Common carp and (specifically) Ogon Koi (according to Wikipedia).

I caught this one at Tingirth Course Fishery in Bedfordshire, the owner said it was a koi cross.

post-21621-1337119004_thumb.jpg

post-21621-1337118988_thumb.jpg

Bit of a shock when it came up through the water, i thought id struck gold...lol

out our way they are a prized catch! both at Reepham and Foxley if you catch a ghost its considered the catch of the day! so much so we will target them if we see them surface feeding etc!

some look really stunning..some look a bit battered...but if you can catch a pristine one then i think they look pretty awesome!

my PB is a ghostie!!

for some reason , might be just imagintaion though, they always seem to fight a hell of alot harder than mirror carp.

OK,

Makes sense. I just didn't know you had many "koi" in the wild (or stocked in fishing waters).

Phone

I know of only one waterway in the UK that has more exotic Carp From koi to BRIGHT SCARLET carpo with Common carp charachteristics. Its on a PRIVATE NO admssion and that means to any one. I used to sneak in and fish the tree laden MOat unseen to the mannor house . In Smallfields surrey. UP to 5 + pounds not many over that most 4 oz to a pound. Its probably gone now this was Back in 1958 .

THe range of fish was great and size diminished no trophy fish however 2 hourss fishing would yeidls more than 100 fish .Great Fun for a sneaky 14 year old.