Fish do the silliest things

Andy_1984

forgot about the one pike i was stalking on the canal with a fly rod. water was clear and flat calm.

i followed this pike around for about 5 minutes as it moseyed along just centimeters below the surface, gently flicking a big red & black bucktail i tied myself in front of where it was heading.

i couldnt tempt it to take any interest in the fly at all.

what it did take an interest in was the empty packet of salt and vinegar McCoy's floating on the surface. it stopped dead then took a stab at it.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i used to fish the Birmingham canals with a spinner towed behind a planer board, there was one spot where a pike would regularly appear, completely ignore the lure and come right up to the board. He wouldn't attack, he'd just rest his chin on it and let it tow him along for 3 or 4m before turning and going back to his ambush spot.

I never did hook him but he must have done that 4 or 5 times.

Sounds like the budget version of 'Jaws' :D

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but it's worth repeating. I watched carp rising slowly (and vertically) until their whole head and shoulders were out of the water so that they could reach elderberries on a bush overhanging an island margin. They shook the whole bush to shake the berries off - greedy buggers!

I think that's bloody clever not silly!

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I think that's bloody clever not silly!

Yeah, more weird than silly. It was good entertainment though, Dave!

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

I know it's not strictly coarse fishing, but in my garden pond I have, amongst others some mirror carp. Whenever I approach the side of the pond at feeding time, the carp, and only the carp attack the feeding ring ferociously, before any feed has entered the water. After it has all gone, they often come back to attack it again !! :wallbash: :wallbash:

Edited by wotnobivvy

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I know it's not strictly coarse fishing, but in my garden pond I have, amongst others some mirror carp. Whenever I approach the side of the pond at feeding time, the carp, and only the carp attack the feeding ring ferociously, before any feed has entered the water. After it has all gone, they often come back to attack it again !! :wallbash: :wallbash:

roach and rudd in my aquarium do something similar, i feed them on the sdide of the filter (gudgeon gets more food that way) after feeding they go and hang around there hitting the filter as if they wanted more...

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I hooked a small jack at the weekend along the bank about 5-10m along the margin. It started tail walking and then managed to tail walk out of the river and on to the bank! It then flapped about and before I could get to it it managed to jump back into the water and release itself!

Now the thing I waa wondering was can I count this fish? Technically it was 'landed' and without it I would have blanked :-)

I hooked a small jack at the weekend along the bank about 5-10m along the margin. It started tail walking and then managed to tail walk out of the river and on to the bank! It then flapped about and before I could get to it it managed to jump back into the water and release itself!

Now the thing I waa wondering was can I count this fish? Technically it was 'landed' and without it I would have blanked :-)

In this situation I would refer you to phones 'long release' method. :D

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk