Time for a laugh - Most memorable cock ups

Guest Chris Perch

Guest Chris Perch

Hi guys I just thought I would tell you about one of my memorable cock ups from last year---Thought you might want to give us a laugh and tell us yours???

I went down to a local lake for some spinning I had just been and bought a new plug it was a diver and had two sets of trebbles on it so i put it in the tackle box to try later and went off to have a cast I think i tried a large spinner first - no luck on that so got out my shiny new plug and clipped it on the trace first cast nothing 2nd cast the rod was nearly pulled out of my hand then off????

I wound in to find I had left the protective tubing on the hook and was gutted I had no more bites that evening and went home none too happy with myself---LOl :D

Mine relates to sea fishing

Back in the 70s in my beachcasting days my brother and I had a all night session on Orford Island in Suffolk. The island is a shingle spit cut of from the mainland by around 100yds of water. We were taken over in the late afternoon by Ralph Brinkley the harbourmaster in his boat and pick up at 10am the next day was arranged.

Once on the island we humped our gear several hundred yards over soft shingle and went to set up. It was then that I discovered that I had bought the butt section of one rod and the tip section of another and no, they didn't fit. I was also not rich enough in those days to have more than one rod. Consequently I spent the next 18 hours of freezing December weather:

A. watching my brother land whiting and codling continuously

B. having to listen to him gloat and take the p***

BTW if anyone is wondering why my brother and I didn't share a rod you have little idea about sibling rivalry :D

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

i had been fishing for pike an entire year once then me and andy macfarlane decided to try for some trout. setup very simple ledger with an ssg and 4lb line.

got a bite and my mind was still in pike fishing mode and struck like i was driving home some hooks in to a 30lb pike. didnt catch the trout :rolleyes:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Mine relates to sea fishing

Back in the 70s in my beachcasting days my brother and I had a all night session on Orford Island in Suffolk. The island is a shingle spit cut of from the mainland by around 100yds of water. We were taken over in the late afternoon by Ralph Brinkley the harbourmaster in his boat and pick up at 10am the next day was arranged.

Once on the island we humped our gear several hundred yards over soft shingle and went to set up. It was then that I discovered that I had bought the butt section of one rod and the tip section of another and no, they didn't fit. I was also not rich enough in those days to have more than one rod. Consequently I spent the next 18 hours of freezing December weather:

A. watching my brother land whiting and codling continuously

B. having to listen to him gloat and take the p***

BTW if anyone is wondering why my brother and I didn't share a rod you have little idea about sibling rivalry :D

Surely if you had the butt section of one rod and the tip section of another you had more than one rod, you had at least two :P

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

I remember going Pike fishing with a mate at a new (to us) fishery and we both cast about 40 yards with some deadbaits.

After a couple of fishless hours I asked him to watch my rods while I had a look further along the bank and as I looked out from a higher vantage point I could see both of our baits sitting in 4 to 6 inches of water.

Another time when my mate and I used to catch small Carp on the surface on crust at a small pool at night; although we could hear the Carp slurping at the loose crusts we had catapulted out we couldn't see them in the dark. I caught around 6 or 7 small Carp but my mate couldn't get a take. when the dawn broke we saw why; my mates crust was sitting about six foot up in the branches of a tree above the water.

I remember being blinded by a flash from my mates camera when photographing a Tench I had caught, and as I put my foot down onto what I thought was the bank I ended up headfirst in the water.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Even the best of us - - - - - -

Fished a monster big lake. After careful survey and an hours astute watercraft I carp fished for specimen all day in about 6 inches of water.

Phone

Guest Chris Perch

Some good ones there-

just remembered the time when talking to a friend I leant on a willow branch it cracked of and I went head first into the lake!

After a successful day on the pole a few years back I noticed lots of swirling under a tree to my right. I rigged a large hook and fished in about 14 inches of water catching carp after carp on spam. I would grab some spam and mash it in my hand and chuck it in as loose feed. The carp were in a real feeding frenzy and as I lowered the lump on my hook in it would disappear in seconds. I caught some big carp and lots of them. As me and my mate started packing up ,as dusk was turning to night, I began to take my pole apart. It had begun to rain and I hadnt wiped my hands. As I pulled the top two off the number 3 the combined rain on the pole mixed with the spam grease on my hands resulted in zero grip, the top two let go of the number 3 and sailed into the pond. I was not best pleased as I watched it sink quickly to the sound of my mate p!ssing himself. It was far too dark to attempt a recovery so I gave up on it and decided to ask the owner if I could get in for it a few days later. I turned up and began to work a long bank stick around the bottom while waist deep in water. Amazingly I felt some resistance and managed to pull the top two out. All ended well but I wont be making that mistake again.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Surely if you had the butt section of one rod and the tip section of another you had more than one rod, you had at least two :P

Well spotted that man :D Unfortunately the other rod wasn't a beach caster

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/