HELP

eaglet

Hi,

Not sure if this the right forum, maybe someone can either answer my question or direct me to the forum I should use? I have a Fox Kevlar Barbel which is a great rod albeit a few yrs old. The cork around the reel seat has started to rot/break away as if rotting or been eaten. It hasn't affected the use of the rod yet but before it does I'd like to repair it. All this said is there a compound that be be worked into the damaged area then sanded or whatever to repair the area? I don't think adding new cork sections would help as the area where the damage is isn't full sections of cork because of the reel seat.

Any ideas readily accepted. I thought of buying a new butt section but if still made it'd cost a lot and p+p to Spain where I live would also be expensive and not cost effective hence this letter for help.

Cheers eaglet

Not sure what kind of reel seat you have but even if it's a tube fitting that's bonded in place, it's not difficult to strip and rebuild the handle with either cork or EVA - you might have to remove and then replace the eyes on the butt section to do it though.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

its down to how much damage is done ,for a small amount ( mm's ) you could use cork filler ,firstly i'd whipe it down with white spirits and check its not actually being eaten .

if the damage is more extensive ,then your faced with replacing a cork ring or two ,either side of the reel fitting ,not too differcult a bit fiddly and would include using a very sharpe razorblade .

what would really help is a picture of the damaged area ,too see the extent and to judge best way too tackle it .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Agree with Chavender that it depends on how bad the damage is but if a filler will do the job then this is the one to get (Budgie put me onto it).

It’s only a small pot so clearly isn’t intended to fill big holes but for minor repairs it’s very good;

http://www.guidesnblanks.com/product/542

I used it when refurbing an old rod a couple of years ago;

IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

IMG_4108.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4116.jpg

IMG_4115.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Hi,

Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. Unfortunately this Pit Paste cost's over £10 to ship over to me in Spain and £7 + to buy which I thought was very expensive. I went onto a US site and the guys on there rate Elmers Wood filler which can be bought on ebay, etc and is over half the price. Think I'll give that a try,

Cheers eaglet

Hi,

Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. Unfortunately this Pit Paste cost's over £10 to ship over to me in Spain and £7 + to buy which I thought was very expensive. I went onto a US site and the guys on there rate Elmers Wood filler which can be bought on ebay, etc and is over half the price. Think I'll give that a try,

Cheers eaglet

Yes Ive used that before as well. Very much the same thing.Just that when I tried to get some more it worked out more expensive than the Pit Paste! Mad isn't it! Obviously depends on where you live/availability etc.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i've herd of Elmers Wood filler but have never tried it ,so look forwards to hear how well it works .i often resort to making small amounts myself from cork dust mixed with glue or varnish ,i much prefer to plug the gaps ,if theres big gaps of holes in the cork i keep irregular shapes from old bits of cork handles as crumble to be used too fill holes and gaps with

DSC00770.jpg

i trim the crumble to shape ( and sometimes the holes/gaps ) glue these into gaps & holes leaving some proud of the surface

DSC00019.jpg

then when the glue has cured i trim off the knobbly bits flush with the surface

DSC00020.jpg

then a quick sanding to blend/smooth thing over and the job is a good-un.

DSC00021.jpg

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

What excellent advice. You just have to bite the bullet and get stuck in and do the job, when sanding do it outside as it can get messy. Some partners can get quite irate if you make a lot of mess.

From a spark a fire will flare up

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

i often resort to making small amounts myself from cork dust mixed with glue or varnish ,i much prefer to plug the gaps ,if theres big gaps of holes in the cork i keep irregular shapes from old bits of cork handles as crumble to be used too fill holes and gaps with

That's how I do it, cheap as chips and looks good too!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!