Trotting for Barbel - advice please

Matthew Simmons

You are right. In the UK I reckon mullet are pound for pound harder fighting fish than barbel.

My experience of fly fishing for barbel was however carried out in snag pits for the simple reason that the density of barbel in my local rivers was such that I never ever saw shoals of them feeding over gravel glides as I had years previously when fishing the Wharfe. Local barbel were mainly solitary or in very small groups. To find barbel to cast to in the Dearne or Don meant finding weed and that was the snag - literally.

But when fishing the gravel glides of the Wharfe for trout and grayling I never had a barbel take my fly. The only barbel I ever hooked by accident was on the Don an a Klink'. The 3lb leader didn't stand a chance.

If you could find an open area where barbel shoal and can be approached from downstream then you are in with a chance. But who wants to go Czech nymphing with an 8 weight? Personally I like to cast. Can't do with that short line stuff.

My local river is full of wide open gravel glides that are full of barbel in the summer months ( i should think there are a good few rivers that are). Maybe one day if i get fedup of baging up with barbel with 3lb bottom on the float and pin i'll give the fly a go. It may be a bit of a challenge, but i shouldn't think it will be anywhere near as productive.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH Brian, I don't know. There are several species including the Cozimo that goes up to 40Lb.

Of course, you could never expect to land something like that on a fly rod, especially from a float tube. ;)

Sorry, I know it has nothing to do with anything. It;s just an excuse to show a fantastic video again :P

Looks great Dave. Ive always dreamed of doing something like that.

But in my dream i was beening towed by a beautiful chick in a speed boat not a fish. :)

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Yes Mullet are hard fighters, even some compare to Bonefish, but it's all relative of course, depending on the rod and line that is used. besides I thought we were talking freshwater species here? :rolleyes:

Loads of streamer weed on the Wye, and never had too much problem with getting barbel through that, without resorting to using heavy test curve rods etc.

Perhaps you had different weed up there?

That highlighted sentence alone places you as a troll or someone with little experience of mullet. :rolleyes:

And as for the last sentence; Perhaps you have different barbel down there - a lot smaller perhaps?

Regards, Clive

Guest redfin2
That highlighted sentence alone places you as a troll or someone with little experience of mullet. :rolleyes:

And as for the last sentence; Perhaps you have different barbel down there - a lot smaller perhaps?

Grow up.... Troll?

As for barbel we have some very big ones thanks although the mullet are a bit thin on the ground, but I have had a few when I lived on the coast, and I can confirm they both fight hard, but there is probably only one way to find out, (I will let you finish the sentence)

Like I said grow up :rolleyes:

All,

I know how to keep a thread "off line" - sorry.

But I'm confused, do you or do you not fly fish for mullet?

Capt. Gene Zamba in southwest Florida, who has long been catching loads of big mullet with 6- and 7-weight fly rods. He creates tiny green flies, the size used on famous trout rivers up North. Way up North. Not Alaska north, but the Madison River in Montana. Tiny mullet flies imitate bits of vegetation that every mullet is keen for. These flyfishing techniques originated in England. England has a National Mullet Club (NMC), with a nice Web site at www.thenationalmulletclub.org. NMC's favorite book, Mastering Mullet, is a hot seller here in the US.

Are you two just bashing each other for the 'ell of it or is there something "bad" or unsporting about mullet fishing?

I think they are kind of cool.

Phone

Edited by Phone

Guest redfin2

All,

I know how to keep a thread "off line" - sorry.

But I'm confused, do you or do you not fly fish for mullet?

Capt. Gene Zamba in southwest Florida, who has long been catching loads of big mullet with 6- and 7-weight fly rods. He creates tiny green flies, the size used on famous trout rivers up North. Way up North. Not Alaska north, but the Madison River in Montana. Tiny mullet flies imitate bits of vegetation that every mullet is keen for. These flyfishing techniques originated in England. England has a National Mullet Club (NMC), with a nice Web site at www.thenationalmulletclub.org. NMC's favorite book, Mastering Mullet, is a hot seller here in the US.

Are you two just bashing each other for the 'ell of it or is there something "bad" or unsporting about mullet fishing?

I think they are kind of cool.

Phone

They are very difficult to catch, even using freshwater tackle that is a piece of bread below a float, they can 'toy' with the bread. and resulting with many missed strikes.

Possibly fly fishing for them would be better, but I have'nt tried that yet, perhaps some of the fly supremo's on here might have.

But are really fascinating target and a good way to spend some time when at he seaside :)

Edited by redfin2

Phone,

There is nothing unsporting about mullet fishing. If I had to choose only one species to fish for then it would be the mullet. They are infuriating, addictive and fight harder pound for pound than any other fish I have hooked. They also have relatvely small and soft mouths so you really do need to think about balanced tackle.

Catching them on float fished bread flake is easy once you suss the method. They mooch around harbours, creeks and go well into fresh water. My biggest one, just over 6lb was caught in fresh water a mile from the sea. Here in France they come up a canal and become landlocked for four hours when the sea gates close. Getting them on an artificial 'fly' can be a challenge, unless you chum and fish a bread imitation 'fly'. I have been there when it has been done, but not tried the bread fly myself. I tried for a couple of seasons fishing small worm and other types of bug imitations without success. To cast to a 3lb fish 6" from the bank and in 6" depth of water and see the fly inches from its mouth being ignored is a quite unique feeling of frustration. I finally got one an a fry imitation around this time of year when they were feeding on roach fry.

In Denmark some anglers fish weed imitations in the sea for mullet. That is the path to insanity. I've tried it, seen fish caught this way, but haven't enough years left in my life to continue with this method.

Regards, Clive

Rabbit? Not sure what you mean.

:lol::lol:

Where there is a proliferation of fresh rabbit droppings in a field or on a heath, a countryman says to himself, "Yur be rabbits"

Similarly, certain posts have a literary style in which your Royal Rabbitness shines through. We have come to expect it at some point in any long thread, together with a professed innocence of any connection with the original John Bunny.

Rabbits may run, but they cannot hide :)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Where there is a proliferation of fresh rabbit droppings in a field or on a heath, a countryman says to himself, "Yur be rabbits"

Similarly, certain posts have a literary style in which your Royal Rabbitness shines through. We have come to expect it at some point in any long thread, together with a professed innocence of any connection with the original John Bunny.

Dave...you have a wonderfull way with words my friend ;):lol: :lol: .

Guest redfin2

This Rabbit you talk of seems to have acquired some sort of following on here, but before my time alas. Tell me Uncle Vagabond is it that you miss him so you have created him in me? :rolleyes:

If it makes you happy, happy to help :)

Although a bit weird :o