Advice on cleaning vintage reel

essexboy

Hi Nicepix, no, you are correct..... but the best way of accidently leaving any on is not to use it in the first place!

That's as daft as telling a surgeon not to use scalpels and foreceps in case he leaves them inside. :rolleyes:

There is nothing Andy, Worms or myself have advised that will harm a reel. You need solvents and / or acid to clean old metal parts. Done sensibly no damage can be done using vinegar. It will help to dissolve the oxidised metal on the surface and allow you to clean it off without abrasives.

As for oiling it; if you clean and polish the pin and inside the bore of the spool correctly, and assuming the reel isn't too far gone, you won't need oil. Just a rub down with a soft pencil on the pin should be enough to get it running moothly. The problem with oiling all the reel is that it attracts and holds dirt. Great for the cabinet. Not so good for fishing.

Regards, Clive

Wunwet,

What is "white spirits"?

Also, just asking, no experience mind you. In the antique business (on the telly) they say "never remove any patina. Would this not be true of a vintage reel also? How do you go about accomplishing both goals (assuming it is possible).

Phone

Wunwet,

What is "white spirits"?

Also known (over here) as Turpentine Substitute - *turps* for short, probably the most common usage is for cleaning paintbrushes (house) of oil based paint.

That's as daft as telling a surgeon not to use scalpels and foreceps in case he leaves them inside. :rolleyes:

There is nothing Andy, Worms or myself have advised that will harm a reel. You need solvents and / or acid to clean old metal parts. Done sensibly no damage can be done using vinegar. It will help to dissolve the oxidised metal on the surface and allow you to clean it off without abrasives.

As for oiling it; if you clean and polish the pin and inside the bore of the spool correctly, and assuming the reel isn't too far gone, you won't need oil. Just a rub down with a soft pencil on the pin should be enough to get it running moothly. The problem with oiling all the reel is that it attracts and holds dirt. Great for the cabinet. Not so good for fishing.

Note to anyone reading this....ignore it it's nonsense. You need oil on a pin, metal on metal without propper lube will cause wear/damage.

A thin layer of oil on a reel isn't good for a cabinet but will protect the reel when out.

nicepix I think i'm gonna put you on ignore as your verbal sheeeite is going worse and worse.

Oh I forgot to mention in extreme cases star drops is usefull :).

Guest bbamboo

I have always used petrol or paraffin so far it never damaged only reel.

After washing out leave it on newspaper until its dry before putting it all back together.

Petrol works better if you have any

Edited by bbamboo