treble hook

Phone

All,

I nearly took another thread "off target" - but I promised myself not to.

I know I’m wading into a debate that will never be settled - the treble hook . With three hooks, chances are better of hooking a fish. Treble hooks minimize the chances of losing fish due to the hook pulling out. It is more difficult for a fish to be deep hooked with a treble hook.

The down side of treble hooks over single hooks is more of an indictment of the anglers, especially carp anglers, than it is of treble hooks.

IMO treble hooks are banned on commercials because the general angler is not smart enough or cares enough to use them properly. (I’d like to think we are at least as smart as pike and perch fishermen – guess not(?)).

Trebles usually have a small hook gap compared with a single, and the three hooks can, and will work against each other during a long fight. The way to counter this problem is to use wide gap trebles with a short shank. Wide gap allow for less torque and less tearing (also a good thing).

Treble hooks for carp are quicker to remove it you use barbless (or crushed barbs). 99% of the time only one hook will be embedded anyway but good anglers will be prepared and get c&r fish back into the water quickly. Anglers who use treble hooks need to have side cutters handy and be ready to remove the hook points to safely remove the hook from the fish (pushing the point through first).

I think there is a place in fishing for treble hooks - carp fishing as well as other species. After all, if you are willing to take the time and make the effort no more damage is done by a treble than a single hook (99% of the time it will be a single hookup anyway) and the chances are better of hooking a fish.

Phone

Hope you've got your tin hat Phone !

Of course the downsides are that it's more bulk/weight to try to get the fish to suck in and you are potentially distributing the hooking force across three points which (like a bed of nails) might mean that none of them go into the fish.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

ahh ha, us salties use trebble hooks with a kin big live mackeral to catch the bass. Fab way of catching them. The way the bass hit the bait a lot of the time the fish bait and the hook is 50% of the time right down the basses gob. Quite often two of the hooks are attached. We do use a particular disgorger that makes light work of the hook up though so it ain't always doom for the fish.

That blows your clean hook up method out the window phone. :lol:

Btw, to those who are promoting a failed bass stock this year and are looking for legislation, and controlled rsa fishery, more rules and regs on commercial, tac's your wrong, my mate just come back from a 3 dayer and was sick of the sight of them. You know who you are. Get out fishing more and see the real picture. :P sorry about that phone, must learn to stay on target.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I use trebles for carp Phone...you know the type, the ones with lead cast around the shanks...... B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Phone

You seem to have found a solution for a problem that didn't exist.

You say you get better hookup rates, well to be honest I don't have a problem with hookup rates using single hooks.

You say you get better hook holds and then claim that 95% of the time a treble only catches on one of the three hooks. ??????

You pay for this with such poor presentation that it is unlikely that you would get a hookup anyway.

Just recently I have done a fair bit of reading on the subject of hooks and fish mortality and nowhere have I seen a suggestion that treble hooks are good from a fish welfare/survival point of view.

The hook design which seems to make a major difference in this area is the circle hook. Would they work for carp? Has anyone tried?

I use the Guru CM1 for most of my fishing these days. It is a modified circle design and I have to say that since I started using it I have noticed better hookup with fewer hookpulls than a standard J shaped hook. I don't seem to have to use the disgorger as frequently either.

I just wish they made them bigger than a size 10

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

When trout fishing, if I'm going to eat them I would use a treble, for a few points one it holds the power bait and maggots better, two kinda a spin off from one but the treble makes it look better (kind looks like a shuttle cock) :P, three after losing plent on a size ten single it made me ask about the loch and everyone said use trebles. But thats only for eating as when the trout takes it it swallows instantly no matter how quick your on it. must look to good? As for getting the hook out its a nightmare, talk about deep hooked, every hook not just one is in very deep 100% of the time, I've even had to leave the hook in a few times and get it back when I'm gutting the fish B) but as I say that's trout. Now pike I would never use a single hook for as in my opinion it's farting in the wind, when a treble is on I find it give e peace of mind and that it's usually as phone said one out of three that's hooked which is a blessing on the pike front. Now for the tricky part carp I think I will just stick to single hooks there as I have enough problems with singles. <_<

Darren

Sportsman,

""""Just recently I have done a fair bit of reading on the subject of hooks and fish mortality and nowhere have I seen a suggestion that treble hooks are good from a fish welfare/survival point of view.""""

I have no defense for this point of view. In fact, that statement is true for angling in general isn't it?

My "hook-up" statement is based on arithmetic numbers. How can we know in fact that you don't have any problem with hook-up rates? There is a reason you fish! You can say you are satisfied with your rate - I agreee. It is also true, 99% of the time trebles produce the same results as single hooks - one hook point engaged.

My defense of treble hooks is that I believe it is genearally a myth that trebles cause more damage. With equal care on the angler's part - I don't think fish intednded to be released, including carp with their unique mouth structure, are in any greater peril using treble hooks. It does require considerable more attention on the part of the angler.

I also believe I am in a huge minority among carp anglers. Especially Euro carp anglers who've probably never caught a carp with a treble hook. I'm just saying they are not the horror of all horrors.

Darren,

What with your sensitive nature I don't believe you want any part of old Phone. You need more experience.

Phone

One thing that treble hooks do have an advantage"safety" wise over singles is that you can use a much smaller one than you would need a single to do the same job.As such the depth of penetration is a lot less and its deep penetration that is often the killer with hooks.

That said Ive never found the need to use trebles to get a good enough hook up rate with most species.Mainly because in general the bait to hook size ratio is quite small.With predators where we are using so much bigger baits then the treble (IMO) remains king.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!