How sensitive is a Method Feeder?

BML

I recently bought a Method Feeder but as I used it for the first time the thought crossed my mind that it could not be as sensitive as a simple Swim Feeder.

I set the Method Feeder up using a swivel that with a hook line coming out from the front end of the swivel through the Method Feeder. The reel line came out of the back end of the Method Feeder. For a bite to show the fish has to grab the hook line which is connected to the front Method Feeder and move the whole thing. If I had been using a Swim Feeder the hook line would have been connected to the reel line a few inches short of the Swim Feeder and be much more sensative or have I got it all wrong?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or have I got it all wrong?

Certainly have BML! The main thing with the Method feeder is that its a "selfhooking" set up. So no need for sensitivity.Just use a short hook length (4" max) and hang on to your rod!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I recently bought a Method Feeder but as I used it for the first time the thought crossed my mind that it could not be as sensitive as a simple Swim Feeder.

I set the Method Feeder up using a swivel that with a hook line coming out from the front end of the swivel through the Method Feeder. The reel line came out of the back end of the Method Feeder. For a bite to show the fish has to grab the hook line which is connected to the front Method Feeder and move the whole thing. If I had been using a Swim Feeder the hook line would have been connected to the reel line a few inches short of the Swim Feeder and be much more sensative or have I got it all wrong?

Hi BML, the idea of the method feeder is that it acts as a self hooking rig. Usually used with a bait on a hair, when the fish takes the bait and moves off the weight of the feeder sets the hook. Also called a 'bolt rig' it was originally used for shy biting carp on 'hard' waters, where bites were few and far between. With the modern obsession with carp it's become a common method, often on overstocked waters, where it's not needed. It's become a standard method for many other fish, barbel, tench, bream, again often where other simpler rigs would work as well if not better.

Because you don't have to strike the hook home, it's often misused, and several rods can be left with little or no attention, and still catch.

John.

Edit

Cross posted with Budgie.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi BML, the idea of the method feeder is that it acts as a self hooking rig. Usually used with a bait on a hair, when the fish takes the bait and moves off the weight of the feeder sets the hook. Also called a 'bolt rig' it was originally used for shy biting carp on 'hard' waters, where bites were few and far between. With the modern obsession with carp it's become a common method, often on overstocked waters, where it's not needed. It's become a standard method for many other fish, barbel, tench, bream, again often where other simpler rigs would work as well if not better.

Because you don't have to strike the hook home, it's often misused, and several rods can be left with little or no attention, and still catch.

John.

Edit

Many thanks for the answers. First thing I will do next time out is to shorten my hook length. I wondered why apart from the shy bites the fish that I did catch just took off.

Many thanks for the answers. First thing I will do next time out is to shorten my hook length. I wondered why apart from the shy bites the fish that I did catch just took off.

The shy bitres will not be bites at all but line bites.

I can see how you are confused as you are using an in line set up with what would seem a free running line - with a short hook length its not as most fish pick up a bait and hook them selves against the weight of the feeder.

If you are using prestons feeders they make a line connector that slots into the feeder giving it a better bolt rig effect - with other makes I had bored out the hook end hole so a swivel slots in snuggly - again to enhance the self hooking properties.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

John.

Edit

I get the impression you don't like method feeders and bolt rigs much John. Horses for courses i would say. Of all the rigs Ive used for bream fishing, a method feeder or bolt rig with a sort hook length is the only one that has a 100% no deep hooking rate.

If i ran one of these fisheries with prized fish and where anglers like to sleep and fish at the same time, i would probably make them compulsory.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

lutra,

I am in the "don't like bolt rig crowd". I have to say it (a bolt and hair) is the most efficent and safest way to catch a common carp. I would suspect, without proof, the hair rig (all self snagging rigs) is light years ahead of angler participation.

It comes down to preferences I'd guess. Personally, I associate snagging rigs with my years as a commercial fisherman - not angling.

Phone

I get the impression you don't like method feeders and bolt rigs much John. Horses for courses i would say. Of all the rigs Ive used for bream fishing, a method feeder or bolt rig with a sort hook length is the only one that has a 100% no deep hooking rate.

If i ran one of these fisheries with prized fish and where anglers like to sleep and fish at the same time, i would probably make them compulsory.

I don't use bolt rigs Brian, and as you say it's an individual choice. In my mind there's a fine line between them, and a 'set' rig.

I'm not against anyone using them when needed, but they are used now as a 'universal' rig. I see them used with multi rod setups, on well stocked waters, where they are not needed, and often see two or more fish hooked at once, and the angler struggle to land fish, or worse, have them snagged. When used like that it's more like trapping than angling. As you know the rig was devised to hook 'twitchers', and was/is very successful, (a complete turn around from the thinking of the time).

It's just a personal thing, in that I like to enjoy the bit of fishing time I get, and I wouldn't enjoy using a method I don't like.

I would never call for a ban on any legal method, and I do things that some others don't approve of, eg, I often use a keepnet where I think appropriate.

It's just what I'm comfortable with.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I'm not against anyone using them when needed, but they are used now as a 'universal' rig.

One thing that needs to be pointed out with regards to method fishing on commercials is that you do not get many foul hooked fish as most bites are wrap rounds with the fish hooked in the lips.

When using conventional groundbait or maggot feeders where most of the time you need to 'strike' at anything that looks like a bite you tend to get alot of foul hooked fish as you strike at line bites.

Yes they are now probably the most used form of ledgering used and with good reason.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

One thing that needs to be pointed out with regards to method fishing on commercials is that you do not get many foul hooked fish as most bites are wrap rounds with the fish hooked in the lips.

When using conventional groundbait or maggot feeders where most of the time you need to 'strike' at anything that looks like a bite you tend to get alot of foul hooked fish as you strike at line bites.

Yes they are now probably the most used form of ledgering used and with good reason.

The easy answer to that Rudd, is I don't fish overstocked commercials. :D

On such waters there's no need to put several bolt rigs out, in my opinion one attended rod is enough.

John.