Iphone 5

Phone

CORY Cory cory,

It must be political not mechanical - your reasoning. My daughter's MacAire blows away anything I've ever seen. Even my computer repair man was impressed. (I "caught" some virus to the tune of a hundred fifty bucks.)

What it does is "home in" on the 21st century stuff geeky kids want and use. 64gb/1tb

Phone

adhering to deisgn choices is one thing..charging through the nose for it when other suppliers can do almost exactly the same quality and system (if not better system) is another!

Apples iOS devices are streets ahead of most of the competition; ive not touched one single tablet that can compare to the Ipad in touch response or quality; even the ones that have bigger screens and more power just seem to lack the instant response and general ease of use of the ipad.

on the other hand we have a suite of mac here at school; that whilst they have been stable; when they do go wrong are nothing more than a bloody nightmare if its hardware. even donw to requiring specific memory modules to read correctly!! its a nightmare!

for computer work give me a pc anyday!

but then again its what your experience of a product is that determines your thoughts towards others etc

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AHH but does everyone use all the bits not on ten year old phones?

music is music

a camera in the case of a phone is not a great camera (mine is a fair by its age 3.2mb but i never use it) probably its only use is for ogling the dead or such on the spot "needs" and in most cases an oldie like mine is fine

keeping records ? most have "office" type software as standard

appointments as above

plenty more apps can be downloaded but how many times can actually use them? mine has barcode reader software and other stuff but its never used

my old storm does for me the only downside is this version has no WIFI the next one did.

rather than PDAs being extinct them and phones merely merged ,PDAs got phones and cameras and phones got bigger screens to act like PDAs.

on the other hand i kinder like tablets but not so good on the pocket nor fit in most :D

my old storm cost me a tenner when apples do other than edible ones i may go more modern

I like to synch podcasts to my phone so that I can listen to them when I'm out and about. The camera on my phone is pretty damn good, whether it's for stills or a short video. The thing I like best is having a FREE GPS and SatNav in my pocket. Dell has a nice little app for smartphones. If you scan the barcode on a Dell it will tell you all the drivers you need to download if you need to do a clean install of your OS of choice. Not had a chance to test that one yet but I will be giving it a go on next Thursday. All of the free apps I have installed from Google Play can be used as many times as you want. Most of the "pay for" apps cost less than a quid.

Most computer users only use a tiny amount of their machines true potential, it's always been that way and smart phones are no different.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Cory,

At least in my case, since I don't know what you or anyone else is talking about - I'm a techno-idiot - I didn't say this stuff was "useful" - simply cool. Equally, I admire Apple for pulling off the "closed loop" marketing. Unfortuantely, the I5 is compatible with everything you've mentioned (as far as I can tell). Did you notice two cameras? 1.8 do dad in the front for playing on the skype type thingy and an 8.5 do dad camera for serious photos on the back.

You know what I think? I think you're getting old. I'd say the I5 is much more "useful" if you are 15 - 25 than it is for any particular valid reason. Marketing my boy - marketing. My daughter doesn't know what it is - an I5 - but she HAS to have one.

(Stock went up 5+points to nearly $700 per share - a 50% increase in the last year. Who says we are in "hard times"?)

Phone

Cory,

At least in my case, since I don't know what you or anyone else is talking about - I'm a techno-idiot - I didn't say this stuff was "useful" - simply cool. Equally, I admire Apple for pulling off the "closed loop" marketing. Unfortuantely, the I5 is compatible with everything you've mentioned (as far as I can tell). Did you notice two cameras? 1.8 do dad in the front for playing on the skype type thingy and an 8.5 do dad camera for serious photos on the back.

You know what I think? I think you're getting old. I'd say the I5 is much more "useful" if you are 15 - 25 than it is for any particular valid reason. Marketing my boy - marketing. My daughter doesn't know what it is - an I5 - but she HAS to have one.

(Stock went up 5+points to nearly $700 per share - a 50% increase in the last year. Who says we are in "hard times"?)

Phone

It's nothing to do with age. It's that I get almost twice as much bang for my buck. My daughter (just turned 22) had things she just HAD to have when she was younger. She didn't get. She was going to study marketing for her degree but decided it was BS and is now doing a Masters in English and French Literature so that she can be an English teacher like her mum. She just bought herself a new airbook-a-like gizmo, made by HP

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Cory,

Well, my daughter (15) won't get her wishes either. Can't argue "techno" with you - but I can tell you what's selling. OTOH it may be a "fad". What goes up must come down.

You do know Apple is mandatory in our public school (school provided MacAire).

Phone

(She's going to be either a brain surgeon or fireman - (maybe a telly drama queen if you ask me) she hasn't decided yet. Ohh what 7 years will do for them.

Cory,

Well, my daughter (15) won't get her wishes either. Can't argue "techno" with you - but I can tell you what's selling. OTOH it may be a "fad". What goes up must come down.

You do know Apple is mandatory in our public school (school provided MacAire).

Phone

(She's going to be either a brain surgeon or fireman - (maybe a telly drama queen if you ask me) she hasn't decided yet. Ohh what 7 years will do for them.

Wow. Sounds like you have a pretty enlightened School Board, I hope they teach Evelution in the Biology class and not ID ;)

I can't argue with you that "Apple sells", I'm just not swayed by the marketing my friend.

dont get me started on apple products as ive just had the most unfortunate experience with the whole ios system. ok you got me started....... ive been installing a cctv system all this week and the customer bought a dvr specifically with ipad & iphone support with the understanding he could watch the cctv and listen to the cctv audio feed too.

in order to do that you would need to use Safari web browser on ipad to do so, but the problem is you cant install any bloody safari plugins which is needed to view the cctv through safari as similar to cory with the hardware thing, the whole thing is locked down.

so now he's stuck with a crapy little ipad app that does 4 cameras at a time (16 camera dvr) with no audio support. guess what i have to do to get it all working ? find a way to remotely control a windows pc from ipad so i can use internet explorer to view the dvr webpage with 100% control. all wouldnt be a problem if ipad let you install and configure things other than bloody Apps.

its a glorified handheld £300+ web browser. so no thanks ill stick to my ageing XDA II with microsoft mobile 6 (normally used for phone calls, texting & tomtom navigator). at least if i need to do something unusual then i can modify it, hack it etc etc and use my actual camera for taking pictures. when i need computing power i use my window pc.

rant over. :rolleyes:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

dont get me started on apple products as ive just had the most unfortunate experience with the whole ios system. ok you got me started....... ive been installing a cctv system all this week and the customer bought a dvr specifically with ipad & iphone support with the understanding he could watch the cctv and listen to the cctv audio feed too.

in order to do that you would need to use Safari web browser on ipad to do so, but the problem is you cant install any bloody safari plugins which is needed to view the cctv through safari as similar to cory with the hardware thing, the whole thing is locked down.

so now he's stuck with a crapy little ipad app that does 4 cameras at a time (16 camera dvr) with no audio support. guess what i have to do to get it all working ? find a way to remotely control a windows pc from ipad so i can use internet explorer to view the dvr webpage with 100% control. all wouldnt be a problem if ipad let you install and configure things other than bloody Apps.

its a glorified handheld £300+ web browser. so no thanks ill stick to my ageing XDA II with microsoft mobile 6 (normally used for phone calls, texting & tomtom navigator). at least if i need to do something unusual then i can modify it, hack it etc etc and use my actual camera for taking pictures. when i need computing power i use my window pc.

rant over. :rolleyes:

"logmein" mate, that app will allow you to control 100% any pc you want :)

and its free

you need a free logmein account as well but thats little issue; ive been using the system on my ipad for ages and its fast and robust with full ability to do pretty much most things you might want via remote access of a pc system.

on another note: surely your client didnt research his purchase very well...even the most basic of searches would have informed him that you cant apply upgrades or plugins to the iOS browser.

dont blame the tool: you pick up a spanner to screw in a screw then your gonna fail :) thats bad sales support info or bad research.

Edited by kirisute

logmein was the first thought when i came up with the solution but the problem with that is you need to sign up to the pro(££) version of it to get audio................. found another tool called splashtop that does it all and is only a 1 off £4 or something app fee with free server software for pc.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

All,

Have you seen the Iphone 5 panorama feature. Pretty cool. And to think it's just a telephone.

Phone

On the other hand, the much vaunted map feature is pathetic....

Leamington Spa is listed as 'Royal Spa' and is located where Daventry is.

Shakespeare's birthplace is wrongly located, and according to the map, Woolworth still have a store open.

How clever. Another triumph of hype over content.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine