One dead and hundreds injured in stampede for live fish cure

corydoras

There is lot's of weird stuff in this month's Practical Fishkeeping.

One man died and over 200 people were hurt after thousands rushed the gates of a stadium offering a live fish cure for asthma.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=5099

Why do people follow the word of charlatans like this? It's the secret of a saint from 170 years ago so it must be true.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Or so desperate they'll try anything.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Or so desperate they'll try anything.
One thing is for sure, they can't all be stupid. Many may be gullible but they can't ALL be dumb.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

One thing is for sure, they can't all be stupid. Many may be gullible but they can't ALL be dumb.

Education style or simple brainwashing can make millions "Stupid" or "Dumb". History shows that as a fact.

In a country like India, that really doesn't give a tinkers cuss for the lower classes, they'll believe and swallow, literally, just about anything.

Because they don't have a systematic way of deciding what they believe in and what they don't, instead relying on their assessment of the person telling them the information.
Is that another way of saying that they lack critical thinking skills and even a rudimentary understanding of the scientific method?

Pretty much, yes - it isn't the way they have been raised to think.

Recent discussion on another forum, someone said that the reason he doesn't believe in fairies is that they are not "ipse esse subsistens" - a phrase Thomas Aquinas used to describe the essential nature of God. This chap thinks that "because they are not consistent with what the dogma of my religion says is the nature of God" is a rational explanation of why he believes in his God and not in fairies. He could have said the same thing less pretentiously by saying "because my priest has not told me that fairies are real".

Pretty much, yes - it isn't the way they have been raised to think.

Recent discussion on another forum, someone said that the reason he doesn't believe in fairies is that they are not "ipse esse subsistens" - a phrase Thomas Aquinas used to describe the essential nature of God. This chap thinks that "because they are not consistent with what the dogma of my religion says is the nature of God" is a rational explanation of why he believes in his God and not in fairies. He could have said the same thing less pretentiously by saying "because my priest has not told me that fairies are real".

Did a Google for that. It must be that silly catholic bod on the pistonheads forums.