Lost Cat

AddictedToScopex

So it is a particularly sad time in our house at the moment. Our beloved little cat Heidi has been missing for the last 3 days without a single trace of her anywhere. We have posted flyers and put posters up and contacted all the relevant authorities but still nothing. We are very sad and pray that she comes back to us. Being our first pet together she is very dear to us and so much so that my wife even used to jokingly call her our first born.

She is only 11 months old and used to stay out all night and come back in the day time to sleep on the bed and drop us off a dead mouse but one morning she wasn't there to be fed as I got up for work.

A friend said she thought she had seen her at the bottom of the road that morning winding up the crows but she didnt often go down that far instead preferring to run around in the woods behind our house. She hasnt been seen since then. She is quite savvy and always keeps a very wide berth of cars and strangers and is certainly capable of feeding herself. Our main worry is that she has been locked in a shed or garage as that morning the weather was very bad and it even hailed very hard in the afternoon. The weather hasnt been great since either so I am wondering if she is just chilling somewhere keeping sheltered.

We are of course very concerned about her. I am looking for any glimmer of hope I can find. Have any of you guys and girls had a cat go missing for a while only to turn a few days or even weeks later? Tonight will be her 3rd night away. :(

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

it is certainly a worry but don't give up hope altogether. Years ago one of our cats went missing for about a week. We were driving to the shops and found the body of the dead cat lying in the road.

Tears were shed and the cat was taken home and buried in the garden. As we walked back to the car to resume a shopping trip who should appear at their feet but the cat we thought we had just buried.

Ours had just returned home with no explanation so who's cat we buried I have no idea.

Later, in Scotland, one of our dogs went missing for five days. She came home pregnant :P the neighbour who owned the black labrador Father refused to accept any responsibility for the 10 puppies that ensued.

We had an Afghan hound once, a real hunting dog. She got out and went off hunting, nothing seen of her for three days. The police telephoned to say that she had been taken in by someone who lived several miles away. When I got there she was lying on the sofa being made a tremendous fuss of by two young children. the mother was very indignant said that the dog was very skinny (they're supposed to be under all that hair) and was in a terrible dirty mess and had to be bathed. She had been living wild after all for three days. The dog was having the time of her life on the sofa and didn't really want to come to me. I was just about accused of cruelty and neglect and to be honest nearly walked away and left her there. She was a lovely girl but a total pain in the ar5e when she got out.

Pets will go and do their own thing from time to time.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Thanks sportsman. I certainly wont be giving up hope. We have just spoken to the council who informed us that they haven't been called to remove a cat from the road fitting the description we gave and they also said that they scan all injured or dead animals for chips (which ours has) and said they would call the owner straight away which is reassuring.

I am feeling pretty sure that she is in a shed or garage somewhere so we are going to continue to post more flyers in a larger radius. With any luck someone will open the garage or shed and she will bolt out and run home. We are dying to see her again. Its surprising just how much they can mean to you. She really is part of the family. Its doing my head in being sat at work though and unable to do anything. I just have to hope the wife can print off a load more flyers and get them out. My sister and another friend are going to help this evening.

Hi

A friend of mine had a cat that disappeared a few years ago, they had just moved to a new house on a new development, so there were loads of part built houses surrounding theirs.

They looked for her daily for about a fortnight, put up fliers etc to no avail.

Eventually they gave up, then some 6 weeks after the disappearance, whilst they were on holiday in Florida, they received a call from a neighbour to say that the erstwhile moggy was lying on the patio outside the back door.

The neighbour fed him for a few days until they returned from holiday, and he lived for another 3 years before dying of old age.

So keep positive, cats are generally self-sufficient when required, I hope he returns to you both soon.

Ours have never done it (touch wood) but lots of people's cats disappear for days at a time and then roll up expecting breakfast as if nothing happened. Fingers crossed that's what yours is doing.

We have had two cats that would dissapear for a while.

The first one used to go about a mile down the road to an area in which we used to live. Im guessing he'd see his mates for a week and then come back home.

The other would vanish for little periods at first until eventually she would be gone for months and would only catch her sneaking in for food. She looked really thin and would go crazy if anyone went near her. We thought in the end that she had turned wild and after a while she was never seen again.

I dont know why she turned like that. Our other 11 cats were fine (my mum had a thing for cats if your wondering)

I hope that you find yours and that it's well anyway!

Can I have your bank account number and sort code please?

look up trees ;)

ours used to go missing up trees then eventually hunger forced them down ,easy going up some ,a lot harder coming down listen for plaintiff cries at dusk

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

look up trees ;)

ours used to go missing up trees then eventually hunger forced them down ,easy going up some ,a lot harder coming down listen for plaintiff cries at dusk

Will do Chesters. We have a lot of trees behind the house so I guess it is entirely possible that she got up one. I think I will get the wellies on tonight and have a walk through there and see if I can hear anything. Its a bit difficult to walk through as I found out the other night when I attempted it in trainers and went knee deep into a hidden stream. I think a good set of boots and I should be ok. To be honest I wouldnt care if I had to wade through the stream to find her.

Our current cat has never gone beyond the back garden; but the late (and much missed) Marvin a neutered black and white Tom, used to disappear on occasion and turn up two or three days later non the worse for wear and as Steve says turn up expecting breakfast as if nothing happened.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Our current cat has never gone beyond the back garden; but the late (and much missed) Marvin a neutered black and white Tom, used to disappear on occasion and turn up two or three days later non the worse for wear and as Steve says turn up expecting breakfast as if nothing happened.

Tony

Thanks for posting Tony. It helps to hear things like that. I guess the purpose of this thread from my perspective is to help me keep up hope. I would be totally gutted if we lost her for good. She has been particularly fond of me since I bought her as a 4 week old kitten even though I actually bought her as company for the mrs and as a result I have a strong bond with her. It probably sounds daft to those without pets but I am sure those who have them understand.