Badger cull? Right or WRONG?

Chris Goddard

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"vermin" describes a species in a place where it is not wanted by humanity. Like "weed", or "pest". No species is inherently verminous, it's just means "animal whose presence I resent". Grayling were vermin to southern chalk stream owners, trout to Scottish salmon interests. An emotive word that gets people's backs up, but meaningless.

Oh yes.

Two cartons of milk, one bearing the legend "This milk is produced by cattle vaccinated against Bovine Tuberculosis. Bovine Tuberculosis is a bacterial disease that can cause fatal illness in humans" and the other stating "This milk is produced from cattle not vaccinated against Bovine Tuberculosis" and which one do you suppose parents would feed their children ?

Ken, do some research before you post stuff that is just not factual.

Bovine (bTB) is not caused by the same mycobacterium as hTB (Human TB) Human TB is caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis Bovine TB is caused by Mycobacterium bovis. There are three ways that a human could become infected with bTB.

• By inhaling the breath of an infected bovine. Note though that cattle owners, vets or DEFRA testers take no special caution when working with a herd that is suspected of having bTB. They wear no masks and do not contract the disease.
  • By drinking unpasteurised milk from an infected cow or eating raw or undercooked meat from same. I hear it's been against the law to sell raw milk for quite some time now, and even if it were not, the risk would be minimal as is the risk from eating the meat.
  • by handling infected meat in an abbatoir or meat processing plant or even your local butchers, once again the risk is minimal.

There is no documented case of a human catching bTB nor as far as I know is there a documented case of cattle catching TB from humans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5210100.stm

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I think Ken's point was that from a marketing point of view, vaccinated should be a positive rather than negative attribute despite pasteurisation making it unnecessary from a humam health point of view.

So if you are implying that milk from TB vaccinated cows isn't marketable what happens when word gets out that babies are being subjected to the same vaccine from breast feeding?

Don't you think it likely that there will be a major health scare along the lines of...."Shock, horror, probe, British babies becoming badgers because of bovine bacteria"

I think the anti-vaccination brigade, would have a field day spreading their FUD.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

I think Ken's point was that from a marketing point of view, vaccinated should be a positive rather than negative attribute despite pasteurisation making it unnecessary from a humam health point of view.
He posted "Bovine Tuberculosis is a bacterial disease that can cause fatal illness in humans". This is just not so.

I didn't mean to sound so harsh, but I expect a bit better than that from a fellow skeptic.

"vermin" describes a species in a place where it is not wanted by humanity. Like "weed", or "pest". No species is inherently verminous, it's just means "animal whose presence I resent".

Precisely. it is just a word, but far from meaningless, it has the meaning which we attribute to the object (cat). On every shoot that I have been involved with cats were to be shot on sight along with foxes, rats, stoats, weasels, crows, magpies and jays, and cats did more damage to both game and wildlife than any of those. Proper wildcats operating within their natural range have a niche to fill. The thousands of cats which get turned out of houses nightly do not.

To argue that the label we put on animals is meaningless is quite flawed, for we label creaures as coarse and 'game' (fish), 'stock', 'pet', 'worker' and even 'dinner'. It would take a PM word wrangler to put forward the case that those terms have no meaning. How we interact with those creatures depends considerably on the meaning of those terms as we interpret them.

I have been in the homes of cat keepers, they smell and often keep trays of the beasts droppings in their kitchens.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"