Adder in the garden

The Flying Tench

A WHAT!! AN ADDER!! Blimey we are overrun with them and GRASS Snakes!! I ripped a right strip off my mate last year he killed one "Thought it was a poisonous one it was SO big!" It was over 3 feet long (possibly 5 by the time he had finished with the spade!) But simply leave it and it will slink away. Disturbing it is not something I would bother doing! They do bit BUT only if VERY provoked unless it is around 30 degreesas it is here now..........

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

plenty here in the garden ,you see them basking but the slightest movement and they are gone ,painful after effects of a bite but its extremely likely you will be unless you put your hand on it ,you will probably have had them all the time but only just noticed them

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You guys sure?

""""There are believed to be fewer than 1000 populations of the reptiles left across the UK.""" (adderpopulation.html)

Phone

just whats a population?

classic habitat where i am if they can compete with the sand lizards and natterjacks :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Do not touch the Adder or attempt to move it.

Three reasons:

1. It is protected and you could be prosecuted.

2. It may release a very potent liquid when frightened which is hard to remove and stinks to high heaven.

3. There is an outside risk that it may bite you.

The RSPCA will remove it if you call them and usually on the day of the call.

Despite Adders being poisonous they are incredibly timid and will move away from anything of size including Dogs and Cats.

Remember that at this time of year they will be docile and preparing for hibernation so looking for any area that they consider will shelter them until spring.

not aware of adders releasing any kind of foul smelling substance at all!

Grass snakes yes...adders; never known it or seen it or even heard of it. (but that just may be my level of knowledge :))

bite reaction is usually over within 2-3 weeks for a healthy person with no fatalities recorded or reported for them since, i think, 1970 ish

you do hear of occasional animals/pets being bitten and having a hard time of it, but it is usually if they are picked up by the pet involved or anoyed to such an extent that they have no alternative but to attack.

an adder will 99% of the time try to escape!

this time of year young adults are starting to prepare for hibernation, but juveniles can still be quite active# however this might be of concern for you because adders are known to use the same location for hibernation for life!

so if one has decided to lurk under your pond lining for its hibernation then it might be wise to consider safe removal of it by a professional.

on the other hand you might just consider yourself lucky to have the pleasure of one in your enviroment! fascinating creatures and under alot of pressure in certain parts of the country! :)

for my own pleasure ive been researching exactly what protection there is for adders:

it would appear they are limited in their protection:

it would appear that they have limited protection for as number of things: reckless killing, taking from the wild,reckless injury, disturbance in the wild and damage to places of shelter:

whilst they are well covered in law for: selling, destruction of habitat,intentional killing or intentional injury.

Edited by kirisute