Adder in the garden

The Flying Tench

We had a small pond which was lined with plastic, and it sprung a leak which we couldn't find. So I speared the plastic so the water drained away some time ago, and my wife had a go today getting rid of the old plastic.

But to her surprise, under the plastic she found an adder coiled up. She didn't hang around. She isn't too bothered and feels it will now find somewhere else to go, but I'm a bit concerned having adders (there may be more) in the garden, partly as we have a small dog (cocker spaniel). I'd welcome any advice on whether we should get rid of the adder, and how.

john clarke

Call the experts in mate.

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

All British snakes are highly protected. Getting rid of it or even touching it would be illegal without appropriate licences.

If it's "at risk as a result of your regular strimmer use", you may be able to persuade someone to come and remove it to a more suitable habitat (give the local authority a ring as a starting point) but I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

My parents have adders in the garden of their caravan and have three springers and two cats down there for most of the summer and have yet too have a problem because of the snakes.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Try thinking of it as a positive, they can and do kill garden pests...like cats! ;)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

I believe there are serpents in Norse mythology which will even devour trolls. Probably, though, not the done thing to have mythical Scandinavian beasts loose in one's garden in your line of work, John.

As Ken says, adders are a protected species but..can be legally moved. I'm assuming you live somewhere near heath/woodland.

If the adder is still there then I would suggest contacting your local ARG (amphibian and reptile group) they will have an experienced member (or should know one) that is capable of capturing the snake safely.

You're a bit far away from me to do the job. Adders can be dangerous to pets and Humans but, only in defence. They dislike disturbance and will seek shelter rather than attack. If they feel threatened however they will defend themselves.

If you have any problems pm me and I'll try and help more!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I believe there are serpents in Norse mythology which will even devour trolls.

I didn't know that they even had the internet in those days :)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Do not touch the Adder or attempt to move it.

Three reasons:

1. It is protected and you could be prosecuted.

2. It may release a very potent liquid when frightened which is hard to remove and stinks to high heaven.

3. There is an outside risk that it may bite you.

The RSPCA will remove it if you call them and usually on the day of the call.

Despite Adders being poisonous they are incredibly timid and will move away from anything of size including Dogs and Cats.

Remember that at this time of year they will be docile and preparing for hibernation so looking for any area that they consider will shelter them until spring.