Lead Shot

Leon Roskilly

How long is it now since the ban? Why are we anglers still being libelled in this way? We don't use lead shot, we couldn't buy it if we wanted to, what more would they like us to do?

It seemed obvious reading all the information at the time (of the lead ban) that shooting and boat fuel were larger contributors to the problem than anglers, this latest information does very little to make me think any different.

Leon,

Lead shot (below a certain size, forgive me as I forget what that size is) has been banned since 2002 in the US. The same is true for angling weights (certain size but I forget the exact size). Certainly can't buy lead splitshot any longer. Can you still buy lead shot in new ammo in England?

I don't especially mind if they lump us in with shooters. You simply can't buy or use lead in tiny bits for either sport. I don't think(?) it is even manufacturered any longer??

Phone

Can you still buy lead shot in new ammo in England?

Hi Phone - sure can - and the price difference between 'traditional' lead-shot cartridges and the alternatives is substantial enough to keep (some) shooters using them, even in places where they should not. There's also the issue of some old (VERY) expensive shotguns, in wealthy hands, being unable to safely handle the alternatives to lead, too.

It's actually quite easy to buy lead shot (in bulk) if people are reloading their own shotgun cartridges, too!

Interesting about the lead "shot" in deer too...for a deer to be peppered with enough lead to be ingested by a Human would be very expensive (look at the price of .243 ammunition, the minimum calibre allowed for deer hunting in England and Wales unless for Muntjac). Not to mention the size of the rounds that would be ingested by people...The carcasses would weigh a bit :rolleyes:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Worms,

In Newt's neck of the woods they use 12 gage (bore) and 3/4 oz lead sabot slugs for deer. I believe we must either have more enforcement or stricter laws. Don't know really. Maybe Newt knows if you can still get lead shot in newly manufactured ammo.

I know philo. is right about re-loaders and I remember when composite pellets of all sorts came on the market at twice the price there was an uproar. There may be an execption for antique firearms and lead shot(?). The word "antique" in the US is 50 yrs or more old I believe.

From memory, I'm going out on a limb and say fishing weights of any sort cannot be LESS than 1 oz if they are lead. Could be wrong(?).

Phone

This is the dumbest post I've ever made. Nothing I've said - I am sure of. It's all "maybe and I think".

One could also argue that on the basis of the findings, that anglers shot had very little to do with lead poisoning in the first place.

Are most waterfowl migratory to some extent? interesting that swan deaths have shown a significant drop...........non migratory?

I also noted that the figures included back to 1971?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

One could also argue that on the basis of the findings, that anglers shot had very little to do with lead poisoning in the first place.

Are most waterfowl migratory to some extent? interesting that swan deaths have shown a significant drop...........non migratory?

I also noted that the figures included back to 1971?

Den

Exactly my sentiments Den, at the time of the lead ban, actual swan numbers were increasing.

Many waterfowl are migratory, Wigeon, Teal and several other duck and goose species arrive in the UK in large numbers for the winter, the report is rather vague just saying waterfowl which can mean different things to different people but in general terms "fowl" means it's considered as a game species.

Mute swans will come here from the continent if the weather is unsuitable over there (frozen lakes).

The fact that the birds were tested in wintertime means that they could have brought their lead poisoning with them.