Tackle shops

Pangolin

I'm fortunate enough to have three tackle shops within easy reach, and how different they are: the first is in the basement of a sports shop, a real Aladdin's cave, with twice as much in stock as they have space to display. The elderly owner and young assistant are always keen to offer advice, even though you often feel you know better than they do. The second is a medium shop, a specimen-hunter's sort of place with serious tackle and serious gadgets. The staff there are more likely to ask what you've been catching than tell you about what they sell. I've often had to ask 'what on earth do people use these things for?' in that shop. The third is massive, with every conceivable item of tackle and clothing on display. If you see it in a magazine, you'll find it in this shop! It's really a self-service angling supermarket, although the staff are helpful enough if you have to ask them. I'm not sure which I prefer: I just posted this to see what others look for in a good shop... or are you all online buyers?

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I like to see in a tackle shop.

Plenty of good quality fishing tackle at a reasonable price!

Friendly helpful staff.

A clean and tidy shop with stuff well displayed.

Lastly, no pressure to buy, if I want to browse, leave me alone!

There is only one tackle shop in the city where I live, the second was in the basement of a pet shop but that closed down early last year.

The remaining one is only a token gesture to be honest. The guy who owns and runs it is a pretty knowledgable river angler and a nice, friendly sort who's always up for a chat. As I said though, the shop is only a token gesture and if you don't want maggots or a float you'd be best to go elsewhere.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

yeah ant, the only tackle shop in wolverhampton is pretty much like that although it is getting better.

it is just a small part of the local petshop round the back barley wide enough to stand 2abreast in.

hmmmm really