Waterlog

Chris Plumb

any good intrepid or canoeing features in it?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup - even got an article in it this month too- I am guilty of the piece called Force Majeure.

well well well the only post this year? is self advertisement :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I got Waterlog until issue 68. I always preferred the old format with 6 issues per year. In the end I got a bit bored with it to be honest.

Mark,

I take several mags (actually a LOT). I agree with you. - - - You know, there is just so much pure information you can say about "a fish".

Phone

Edit: I don't take this one. Pretty sure I've never even seen it.

Edited by Phone

You know, there is just so much pure information you can say about "a fish".

Edit: I don't take this one. Pretty sure I've never even seen it.

Very little " information about fish" in Waterlog. Nothing about how to catch more fish, nothing about how to catch bigger fish - in fact mentioning numbers or weights of fish is considered rather bad form.

Waterlog is about angling history, vintage tackle, angling traditions, angling humour and irony, angling eccentrics, what makes a true angler tick - in short, its about the meaning of life. Subjects range from the Victorian herring industry to the fishing baboon of West Africa.

...and compared with the repetitive "how to catch 'em" products, it is superb value for money.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I think value for money is about right- extremely high production values, virtually no advertising and a LOT to read; some may be borderline bonkers but that is part of the appeal. My Anglers Mail (which this week had an utterly crass 'funny ' piece about a toilet incident at Redmire which 11 year olds might enjoy ) cost £1.80 for primarily adverts and self promotion- nobody seems able to write an article in the weeklies without boring us to tears with an endless list of tackle specifications.

Very little " information about fish" in Waterlog. Nothing about how to catch more fish, nothing about how to catch bigger fish - in fact mentioning numbers or weights of fish is considered rather bad form.

Waterlog is about angling history, vintage tackle, angling traditions, angling humour and irony, angling eccentrics, what makes a true angler tick - in short, its about the meaning of life. Subjects range from the Victorian herring industry to the fishing baboon of West Africa.

...and compared with the repetitive "how to catch 'em" products, it is superb value for money.

Hear Hear!!! And at 96 pages long each volume is a mini-book! Lots to read I'd say it was good value...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

What Vagabond has written is indeed true but even the eclectic eventually got boring which is a shame. The 68 issues I do have come to a 'book' 15" in thickness so there's a lot of eccentricity. When the format changed it was supposed to be 50% bigger to justify the 50% increase but although the page count went up from 64 to 96 the size was reduced by 33% so status quo and a big increase. A shame but a low circulation bookzine for want of a better word with little advertising must by definition be expensive. I haven't got the biggest collection of UK angling magazines, far from it, but have enough to keep me with something to read for the foreseeable future, and Waterlog is still worth dusting off for a read, especially the first 20 or so issues. Can't say I'm smitten with Angler's Mail these days...

Yup - even got an article in it this month too- I am guilty of the piece called Force Majeure.

Just got to it - nice read and whetted the appetite for the main event. And nice to see another fan of this rod! ;)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog